Knife Filework - Yay or Nay???

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I personally like filework on the tang of a knife. I feel it gives that hand-made touch and that little bit of something special to a knife. I don't think every knife warrants it, and i've seen a lot of great knives spoiled with poor filework, but i've seen just as many knives enhanced with fine craftsmanship.

I'm just wondering what the general view on the subject is? If you were ordering a custom knife tomorrow and it was an option, would you choose it?

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I would like it on the handle part but not on the back of the blade.
If I could have a custom knife I would keep the tang plane and have etched ingravings on the blade and no file work.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I don't like it, particulary in the non handle area, if the filing is deep it can catch dirt easily. In the handle of a full tang I can see it's potential but still I don't like it nay for me.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Both are fine.
Depends on too many variables for a straight yay or nay in my book imho.
Happy new year to you by the way!
C.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'm not a fan of filework on the back of the blade myself. I do like it on the handle part of the tang when infilled with coloured epoxy. I was filing a celtic interlocking rope pattern for the first time yesterday and i found it really difficult. It had been on my mind to try it for a good while. I probably won't be doing that pattern again. Way too risky!!

Last edited:

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Not really for me but each to there own i suppose!
I always think of a knife with filework to be a knife thats not a user and kept in a glass cabinet for display purposes only......

Having said that i think there must be many hours work producing filework and a very meticulous craftsman doing it.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Na , I am in the camp that yeah it nice to see some nice workmanship,

but, na its a tool, keep it simple and make it work, only my thoughts....

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
No reason why it can't still be used hard just because it's got a bit of filework. I can understand the glass-case philosophy, but a user doesn't have to be an ugly brute does it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE