Knife competition scandi (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Can you post some pics of the more elaborate telemarks knives? The ones for Bunads and the like?
I'm not shure if any of the other forum-members have seen what a "dressed up" scandi can look like :D :D

Jontok
I'll see what I can do. The guys won't meet at the club until next week and I'll ask them then. There are some lovely looking knives and some of them are serious silver workers so their carving is brilliant.

My wife too is from Oslo but I don't think she will be going back anytime soon. The drug scene has changed the city since I first visited Norway 7 years ago :(

Paul.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I'm not shure if any of the other forum-members have seen what a "dressed up" scandi can look like :D :D
I have seen real beauties on British Blades in the Scandi Blade section.

What type of leather is the sheath Haft (half tanned) possibly?
I expect you have used a liner.
Have you received info on how avoid teh orange peel effect on the leather?

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
Brancho: I haven't been to BB in a while, but I don't remember seeing any of the kind I'm thinking of there... The traditional ones with carved silver fittings on handles and sheaths. I may be wrong :D

BTW: I'm betting on no liner for that sheath. :)

Samthedog: I can understand your wife... I moved from Oslo to Ski about 10 years ago, and no way am I moving back there!!! (It's a nice place to visit and all that :D ).

Jontok

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
What type of leather is the sheath Haft (half tanned) possibly?
I expect you have used a liner.
Have you received info on how avoid teh orange peel effect on the leather?

The leather seems to be veg tanned leather. I am not sure as it's my first knife and I used the leather all the old gents use at the club. I don't know how to avoid the orange peel effect so if you would be so kind I will gladly take it in!!

Paul.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Look at THIS thread for some tips.
To stop the oraange peel effect when wetting the leather soak in luke warm water for about 90 seconds (this was the advice I was given but sometimes soak longer) then wrap the leather in cling and place in teh fridge for half an hour (or longer as in overnight if necessary) then stitch the sheath.
Burnish the leather as it dries over the next day or so to get the leather smooth and shiny as an extra finish.
I will post some pictures later when I am home from work.

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here is a sheath I did where I burnished the whole surface to create a high sheen with the wood tool next to it. Prior to burnishing it was as smooth as it was before soaking in water and placing in the fridge.

Burnishedsheath.jpg

The tool is rubbed over the sheath repeatedly as it dries to smooth and compress the leather to get teh sheen on the leather.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thats a rearly great knife Paul, and knife club and the dressed up scandis sound great. Look forward to any pics you can post up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE