Knapping day in central Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is a post to see how much interest there would be for a one day meeting, probably in Lanarkshire, with the focus on flint knapping.

I've been trying to sort this one out for over a month now, and I keep hitting the wall of Risk Assessment and Public Liability.

If you would like to come, it will be at your own recognisance that there will be little bits of sharp stuff flying around. You will be responsible for your own safety, glasses and gloves will be available ( as will a first aid kit :rolleyes: ) but while every intention is to have no injuries, I've yet to try this without getting little nicks :rolleyes: and I can't see us coughing up £300 for a days activity accident insurance.

Sorry to be a pain about it, but I think it's better to get that sorted out and as clearly explained as I can, up front.

The intention has been to organise a day over the Easter holiday, perhaps 17th April if possible.
Anybody else want to come and play? :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
sounds like fun. pity i can't do that date.
however, i have a natural ability to turn good flint into rubble so i'm probably best off avoiding the area ;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've looked forward to the prospect of this ever since being told about BcUK. You know I'm interested:)!

I have a big pile of flint. Not much cop at judging weights but say 150 litres. Plenty for folk to make some rubble and not feel bad about wastage.
Some of it is about as good as it gets and there is no wastage. It all goes as microliths or drill bits or into firelighting kits.
Guess all I'm saying is don't worry about wastage, it's not an issue. The material was fun to collect and when it's all gone it'll be fun collecting more :D .

I'll also bring some greenstone for anyone who fancies starting a polished axe.
....and some dry shafts/handles/hafting materials and other assorted gubbins.

:)
Josh

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
P.S. A party-pack of plasters will be required and some insulating tape(cheers Goose) will be more use than all the rest of a standard first aid kit.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, i would love to come along to this as i have never knapped before. But i,m going to be working in Blair Atholl on that date. Now i,m miffed :banghead: bl**dy work always gets in the way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, so it seems we want to do this, and a Mega-thanks to Grooveski for volunteering so much stuff :You_Rock_ (there's a pun there, sorry :eek: ) but the date isn't the best; I've been in touch with four others on the forum who'd like to come but can't manage that date either.
Re-think time I suspect.
I'll see what I can do, but any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've been trying to avoid getting flint shards on the Brownlee site since we'd like to camp there more frequently and the little bits literally stay sharp for millenia.
I've been trying to arrange for one of the country parks, but though the Rangers are very much for the idea, I keep hitting the wall of H & S and Public Liability :rolleyes: .....soooo, a friend has suggested an overgrown quarry owned by a farmer friend as being suitable, besides he practices with a shotgun there and Monarch should be persuadeable that a flintlock musket would be an excellent demonstration of flint knapped pieces in action. :D
There's firewood available there too since the local landscape gardeners dump their prunings nearby, and the farmer sets fire to them every so often.
Now I'm just waiting for the farmer to say, "Aye, or, no." to the idea and then find a more suitable date.
I think you can start suggesting dates that you can manage to come.

Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'll put my name down for this also - knapping is one of those things that whenever I've tried results in, well, smaller lumps of flint :rolleyes: Need to learn how to make USEFUL smaller lumps of flint :D

Dates: Any weekend in May except the first one (around 6th?) would suit me...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Don't know how I missed this thread. I'm surely interested too, subject to other committments, etc.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Doc could be a useful person to have along,
if we're lucky (and someone is careless) we could get another wound stitching demo.
:D;):D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know, traumatised fruits again :rolleyes:

Actually that's a *very* good idea. Hopefully a weekend in mid May, though I was trying for earlier it just isn't working for most folks.
Anybody up for a Brownlee visit before then, even just a really long day one? The parking over the river is a longer walk in but easier to access and probably more secure too. If we're not lugging camp style stuffs, just what's on our backs, it's fine. I think I'm going up tomorrow for a walk and have a look see.

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Could be interested in both the knapping day and a Brownlee visit, depending on dates, other commitments, etc...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE