Kitting up the Kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
To long we have prevaricated when we should have been kitting up.
Alas finance is as tight as a ducks bum. So you experienced out doors types what kit for 4 kids do you recomend for low cost or worth the expense.?

Any spare kit greatly appreciated.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I take all the kids away every summer no matter the weather. I've got a lot of my family car camping kit at charity shops and car boots. Over the winter I've found 3 air beds for £8, a better twin burner and grill for under a tenner and a pop up tent for the oldest for a tenner since he's old enough to need a little privacy now. For family car camping you don't need a lot of posh kit, for example just take your bedding from home. We have a huge 4 bedroom Outwell tent with a lounge bigger than the one in our house now but for years we used a cheapo 3 room one from a car boot. It survived some pretty serious weather, If a storm was forecast we covered it with a massive cheap builder's type tarp and lashed it down with bungees to hefty pegs. It had the added bonus of making it darker in the tent so the baby would sleep later too.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Tesco fleeces are good value and quick(ish) drying.
Lidl do a good range of thermals every year.
I browse charity shops for any old wool jumpers etc and lightweight trousers.
and ebay can be good for waterproofs, but you have to know what you are looking for.

Blacks do cheap(ish) kids sleeping bags that are proper mummy style ones with stuff sack, which are hadyier than the big bulky things you get else where.
Any closed cell mat is fine for sleeping on. We got a cheap on from Aldi when the kids were young and cut it in half (they're only short). But now they have our spare self inflating mats which are less bulky as we don't tend to car camp!

How old are your kids? I could always see what old stuff I have lying around.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Tesco, Asda kids fleeces are good and cheap, same as waterproofs in that fit int heir own wee bags.
FRW nip over to The Range up near Monks Cross fella, quite alot of decent kids gear dirt cheap. My eldest who is 5 has her own Highlander 10l daysack rucksack and personal kit.
It's just a case of spending a while trogging round all the different shops where you live - and i can give you a list seeing as i know where you live ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE