Kite Photo (Large)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I posted up a number of photos today taken at the Hawk Conservancy of various raptors. I was asked to post a high resolution photo of a kite for someone who has not seen one yet. This one is a black kite (thanks Kevin), although there were Reds that call in for a feed flting as well.

Here's the picture

I can do larger if you want it mate, but I fear for peoples bandwidth - PM me if you want a full size one

Red

485498407_22c4aaf1dc_b.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Kevin - they were flying Blacks but their resident released Reds called in for a feed and I was blazing shots off all over the place. I'm off to google some better ident photos so I can tell them apart!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me this afternoon sat in the sun playing with our new camera jon - a really lovely day!

Thank for the compliment - I did blaze a heck of a lot off as the birds wheeled around us - that was one of the better ones ;). Most were "fuzzy", "just a wing" etc. :eek:

The joys of digital - take lots and hope for the best!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ian,

I did, didn't I :eek:

Amazing what a new DSLR, a 400mm zoom and a monopod do to solve your problems :D

Red

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Wow.........I've only seen Black Kite in France eons ago, but before the release programme, I used to trek to Central Wales to view the Red Kites in the late 70's.....stunning.. :You_Rock_

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice photo Red...huuuuuuge understatement there :D, after the shortcomings of my small digital 10.1 showed up last weekend I'm on the lookout for a DSLR, so what was your setup for the shoot.

Regards

Stephen

PS Nikon D80 and Canon 400D are favs right now.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thats a fantastic shot Red! I would be so proud if i was you!

I have a Cannon 400D, its fantastic! I dont have a Telephoto lens though, i only have the lens it came with. The lens's are so expencive and a college student like me just cant afford stuff like that! :(

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I was sitting in the woods the other day and a massive bird of prey flew right past me. I could have reached out and grabed it (literally!). It was a big brown maybe some black and it had a yellow beak. Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this might be?

I thought it was a busard but when i got hame i thought that Bussards dont have yellow beaks. So what could it have been?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Gailainne said:
Nice photo Red...huuuuuuge understatement there :D, after the shortcomings of my small digital 10.1 showed up last weekend I'm on the lookout for a DSLR, so what was your setup for the shoot.

Regards

Stephen

Jessops are doing a good one for £149.99 plus extra for your chip of choice...Bought mine a month ago and it was £199.99, So SWMBO wants one and it is £50 cheaper....Grrr

I have been learning a bit more about mine today, but not much to report yet.

LS

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s36159/1-136-236/Home/Cameras--and--Lenses/Digital-Compact-Cameras/Fujifilm/Finepix-S6500fd-Zoom-(Digital-Camera)/details.aspx

http://www.jessops.com/

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fantastic shot Red,
Surely some arrangement could be made with the Hawk Conservancy to sell prints - it has to be saleable quality.

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gailainne said:

Regards

Stephen

Gailanne,

This is a Canon 400D :)

We bought it as our 35mm system was EOS based and the lenses were compatible so not a hard choice for us. I wouldn't dream on advising others though - ask an expert like Wayland first!

This shot was using a 100 - 400mm zoom using a Leki walking pole as a monopod (it has a tripod adaptor build in). I probably fired off 300 plus shots during the display, but that one was the best by far.

Ogri - I may well enquire if the conservancy would like it - if they have a use for it, I'd be happy with free entry to see the birds again and take some more pictures!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats means a lot coming from you Wayland I'd love to have even a fraction of your skill!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE