Kit- The List

M

Matt180

Hi,

Myself and a few of my mates are planning to head out into the wild and I was looking around at what was best to bring. I have easy access to a number of outdoor shops (Blacks, Tiso, GoOutdoors, The North Face shop and a few others). I have made a list of what I think would be good to buy for myself (as a treat) as I am hoping to get back into camping again on a monthly basis.

The groups budget isn't all that great with myself offering up most of the money. Which is fair enough as it will most likely be me that will keep and use it in the future.

Tent - Tent
Mess Tin
Cup - Crusader Cup
Cooking- Zebra Stainless Steel Billy Can
Water Bottle - Army Water bottle
Water Carrier - Fold away Jerry Can

We all have sleeping bags and I have an old rucksack from my scouting days (if anyone has any suggestions on what they use I would be happy to hear them)

Just to see what you thought of this kit and any suggestion you can make to better it. Obviously bush crafting is something that can be built upon, so no need to rush out and buy the best of the best straight away but would like stuff that will last for at least a good amount of use.

We where planning on heading out to the West Highland way. However if anyone has a good camping area in Scotland I am all ears.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Sounds like a plan. Hard to advise without a bit more info though.How many in your party? what kit do they have? how will you be travelling? car/ public transport/ walking? tent sharing? mixed party? male/female? see from your profile -student so limited budget? how limited? interests?
First thought is west highlands, summer:- buy midge protection!

M

Matt180

Party Will be 2-3 people all guys with us tent sharing. We have sleeping bags, bags, Cooking Utensils, Compass, Map, Ground sheet, Torch, and cloths. Traveling will be most likely be by car. As I said our group budget isn't all that great but my personal budget is better due to it having been my birthday a few weeks ago and I have money left over :D

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Hmmmm, I'd get a tent with at least 5000HH. This is Scotland. Up the spec of your tent, go second hand if necessary. Plus, the Eurohike jobs haven't the best build quality & for 3 I hope you're all VERY good mates as it'll be 'cosy' in there. Have a look at the tent reviews on Camping UK. There's some good deals to be had on decent tents at the moment.

You can't beat a good old Trangia on the cooking front when a fire isn't practical or too much of a faff - again tons of good second hand ones the 'bay. If you get a SA one you'd have the best of both worlds as you could still use it on an open fire as well as with the burner.

Not trying to p*** on yout fireworks, mate, it's just that kit is all a very personal choice that'll find it's way into your bergen after trying & discarding loads of alternatives. There's a good thread on cheap kit on this site that's well worth a read. Good to hear that you're having a go, though.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Have a read of Paul Kirtley's blog 'Bushcraft on a Budget' (link). You don't need to go for the same kit (tent instead of tarp et.c) but it'll give you a quick check list of the basics ;) .

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

You seem to be taking a sensible approach, let's see if we can change that. :)

There's a wealth of information on this forum, I recommend you spend some time searching it. Use your favourite search engine, the site's own search facilities suck.

You haven't mentioned making fire and stoves but I assume that you'll have something.

Early on I'd add a tarp and maybe a groundsheet to your list, they make a dramatic improvement to your living space if you have just one tent. Consider a breathable bivvy bag as well as the sleeping bag, it will keep the bag drier. Thesedays I usually use an ex-forces one as it's more roomy than my Terra Nova but it has no mozzy net which can be an issue in Scotland.

If you're carrying stuff mostly in a vehicle I'd suggest keeping spare water in for example a 25 litre hard jerry can. Actually I tend to use a few of these bottles:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250634967

because I drink mostly sparkling water at home and I never throw a useful container away. :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi,

Myself and a few of my mates are planning to head out into the wild and I was looking around at what was best to bring. I have easy access to a number of outdoor shops (Blacks, Tiso, GoOutdoors, The North Face shop and a few others). I have made a list of what I think would be good to buy for myself (as a treat) as I am hoping to get back into camping again on a monthly basis.

The groups budget isn't all that great with myself offering up most of the money. Which is fair enough as it will most likely be me that will keep and use it in the future.

Tent - Tent
Mess Tin
Cup - Crusader Cup
Cooking- Zebra Stainless Steel Billy Can
Water Bottle - Army Water bottle
Water Carrier - Fold away Jerry Can

We all have sleeping bags and I have an old rucksack from my scouting days (if anyone has any suggestions on what they use I would be happy to hear them)

Just to see what you thought of this kit and any suggestion you can make to better it. Obviously bush crafting is something that can be built upon, so no need to rush out and buy the best of the best straight away but would like stuff that will last for at least a good amount of use.

We where planning on heading out to the West Highland way. However if anyone has a good camping area in Scotland I am all ears.

Most of your posted links are for the Woodlore shop, you could probably source these items for less elsewhere. Are travelling now? Although not exactly the 'wild' the WHW will present a very specific problem for you all in the form of the midge. Some headnets sized for the midge and a decent tent (second hand as mentioned above) with an insect screen are worth checking out.

Have fun.

:)

M

Matt180

Thanks for all the replies!

Our plans have changed slightly and will now be camping at Galloway Forrest Park. Anyone ever been/ thoughts?

I have upgraded the list as follows:

Saw: Folding Saw
Cooking: Trangia
Knife: Mora Knife
HeadTorch: Mini Headlight
Water Carrier: Fold away Jerry Can
Sleeping Bags = Have
Bags = Have
Midge repellent = Have
Groundsheet = Have
Fire- Firestee
Cup and bottle- Crusader

Comes to a total of around £35 which for what I am geeting is rather good. Still need to decide on a tent and tarp with cord. Any help would be appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE