Kit Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 26, 2011
Ireland
Hey everyone, I'm new to bushcraft uk and to the whole bushcraft thing in general, but have taken up a great interest in it. So I need to put a kit together and I have most things that I need, or at least have them in mind to buy.

What I'm left with are these things: A good everyday carry knife (Small please, my hands aren't massive, somewhere between 6/7 inches overall), and a large knife or small machete for tasks like shelter building and wood processing. Also, I do have a tent, but its pretty basic, what would you recommend there? And last but not least, I need some sort of stove/cooking equipment - small is good, as its only for me, and minimalist - i dont mind plonking it on top of a fire!

Thanks and sorry for so many questions!

:D

Nov 26, 2011
Ireland
Sorry I forgot to say: I own a mora clipper but would still like recommendations for the edc knife and secondly my budget is that of an unemployed person lol... so nothing reallly expensive but I dont want cheap crap either. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
There are plenty of threads which answer all your questions......a word of advice, when asking for kit suggestions it's always better to include a price limit 'cause some rich geezers on here who will sing the virtues of gear that will cost an arm & a leg & possibly a kidney..( smiley here)

Edit: O.P. has added a 2nd post while I've been typing which renders this post obsolete.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As timberwolf said there are lots and lots of posts that will supply the information you need, your question is asked on a regular basis. Spend some time looking through old posts and you'll find lots of other information/tips too.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Go out with what you have and you'll be able to decide for yourself and make better decisions, you may find your perfectly comfortable or you might get the bits and pieces together as you progres.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Try the Condor range of bushy knives,cheap but better than they were I'm told.
A machete can be got cheap too.

A British surplus bivi bag and tarp is better than a tent I'd say.

An edc choice of knife for me is the sak alox farmer.

hth a bit.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Knife - Mora classic or Clipper
Legal EDC would be a slightly ground down Svord Peasant knife
Shelter - DD 3x3 Tarp or Tenth Wonder Cornelius + Tenth wonder Green hornet hammock
Alpkit Hunka Bivi bag
Army Centre zip sleeping bag off ebay
Honey stove with tatonka alcohol burner OR Swedish trianga stove/mess kit
Cheap hatchet for splitting logs (or you could just baton with the clipper)

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Thermarest air bed
German goretex waterproofs
Army bivvy bag
3/4 season sleeping bag
Boots with good insoles
mora bushcraft knife
EKA Superswede
SAK Forester
Alpkit headtorch
Cree 5w handtorch at Aldi,s at the moment
Hatchet
Army poncho
Swedish Army mess kit
army wool jumper
Thermos flask

Some other kit to consider
phil

Last edited:
What your asking is a bit broad brushed, but...here goes! The problem with starting out is lack of experience - kit, generally is an individual thing and you can spend a lot of money based on recommendations and the latest "must have" only to find that it doesn't suit you personally

First place I'll point you is the inexpensive kit sticky above - a lot of good, affordable stuff there.

Second, ask yourself what you're going to be doing when your out - is it hiking/ hill walking? (weight becomes a consideration). Are you going to drive to a site and be relatively static (you can carry the kitchen sink if needs be). Do you have permission to light a fire? (negates the need for a stove - and if you get the shelter right - a sleeping system). Above all what do want to do/ achieve. Some of the members here like to test themselves by going "minimalist" - a knife and a blanket - some like the whole car camping gig, others (like me) want to be self sufficient but don't want to forgo comfort.

Some basic recommendations based on your requests:

1) +1 on the Svord peasant knife - very affordable, good steel but needs a little work with some wet and dry to get the best grind and to grind it down to a legal EDC. It's an excellent little customisable knife (visit British Blades and do a search for some inspiration).

2) Larger knife/ machete. I would go for an axe - purely because axes are a lot cheaper than knives especially the high end stuff (if you can afford it - a Gransfors SFA - a bit jack of all trades, master of none - but you will get a lot of use out of it and the quality for the price is unmatched IMO).

3) Tent/ Shelter - make sure the tent you have is totally waterproof (erect it in the garden and hose it down) and that should do fine for starters. Older posts will reveal a whole debate on shelters - tents v tarps v hammocks v bivis etc. It's tarp/ bivi or hammock for me. Don't forget that your shelter has to be able to take the occasional errant spark from the fire (if you have one) without melting to nothing.

4) Stove/ cooking equipment - I would start with stainless steel and a hobo - Ikea cutlery drainers are still about £11 I believe - (maybe with a Trangia or Tatonka alcohol burner as a back up - inexpensive and versatile (and it improves your fire skills). I've experimented with aluminium and titanium in the past and always have come back to SS. The Zebra range is rightly popular for being cheap and bomb proof - but for me "the last pan set I'll ever buy" (and there's a kiss of death!) has been the Tatonka billy (I have a 1 ltr nesting in a 1.6 ltr) - less robust than the Zebras but with lockable bail arms and excellent frying pan lids (I do like a bacon and egg banjo in the morning). There are some huge threads on hobo set ups here which will provide all the inspiration you need.

Good luck! Like others have said - do a search - but be aware of spending all of your time reading about it here, instead of out there doing it. My last piece of advice is to achieve two basics and that is warm, dry, comfortable feet and a good nights sleep. Fail in either of those and it stops becoming fun!

Nov 26, 2011
Ireland
Thanks everyone so much for the advice, especially Fin, I'll definitely take it on board! So true that you need to get out there and find out what works for you, but its also great to have advice from people with more experience! Ill have a look at some of the bits recommended and after that, just get out there!

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
If you have the equipment you could make a large knife out of an old file for next to nothing, just need to heat treat mine now and put a handle/ scales on it.
Cost wise a Army surplus gore-tex bivi from http://www.allarms.co.uk/ will only set you back £40.
Mat £10 if you don't want anything technical
DD 3x3 tarp £34
Campingaz Bleuet Micro stove £10-£15
Backpack - I've only had two my dads old eurohike and the berghaus verden I got today for £64
As for everyday knives I would take a look at http://www.britishblades.com for good reviews.
Boots and clothes - the sky is the limit

Happy Camping :D

Mack_ire

Rodogg,
Aldi and Lidil are your friend... :) Keep an eye out for the imitation traniga cook set comes out twice a year, will set you back less that 15euro - not the best kit but good place to start.
For sleeping I use a hammock (DDhammock) and a Tarp, (decatalon) I also have a thick bedroll for ground use, Again if starting out a blue Tarp will do until you saved the shillings. and learn different methods of putting it up.
Warm clothes are a must. use layer system.
For knife I have my every day Gerber multitool, and for backwoods i switch between Mora clipper and Mora 2000 - I have spare mora clippers if you want to buy one (age related comment lives here) (not allowed to post adverts here but they are hard to get in Ireland I deal directly with supplier based in Mayo)
A small axe is better suited to Irish landscape no real bamboo's or anything like that majority of woods have paths going through them and off track not heavy enough to give cause to hack your way through.

If you want to meet up some weekend in the new year i'll bring double the kit apart from clothing and you can try out before you buy.
Shops to keep an eye out for.
Millets Dublin 3 or 4 shops fantastic if sale are on.
Great outdoors Dublin Cork etc expensive kit but value for money
Army surplus (army bargains Dublin) (eureka Middelton) (shop st Galway) cheap exarmy gear... will make you look like a sandbagger on hoilidays.
OAS (scout shop) over priced and keep miles away from anything that has rock and river logo POOR intimation of Craig hoppers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rodogg,
Aldi and Lidil are your friend... :) Keep an eye out for the imitation traniga cook set comes out twice a year, will set you back less that 15euro - not the best kit but good place to start.

Mack do Lidl in Ireland still sell the Trangia clones? Not seen them over here since @ 2008 I had a few and I've perminantly mounted different burners in each one.

Nov 26, 2011
Ireland
Hey thanks for the tips there, aye probably no need for a big survival knife/machete in Ireland, but they do look cool... :p A small axe will do the job. Would you use a tarp and hammock over a tent in the wet and rain yeh? I saw a lad do it before and it was a bit of a disaster, but maybe he did it wrong! :p I do have one mora so I'm ok with that for the time being. Was thinking about taking a run down to the army surplus store in Galway, but is that still open?

Anyway thanks again for the advice, will bear it all in mind when looking for gear! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE