kit list for summer camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shibbyjay

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2004
Coventry
karen, (and anyone who is interested :wink: ) just to shed a little more light on the situation...

i will be undertaking a series of 5-day 35-mile hikes during the summer. they will be taking place in New Jersey USA (i will be supervising children from a summer camp for the duration of the hikes); apart from food (which will be provided), i believe we will otherwise need to be self-sufficient during the time spent out. apparently water is plentiful and collected on trip from mountain streams.

cooking for the group will be done on camping stoves (provided), and i will be looking to fit my entire kit for the 5 days into a 35ltr ruck. (does this seem a reasonable size?) anything heavier and i think i'd be too knackered in the heat!!

i would want to give a few "demos" (firelighting, shelter building etc) to try and make the trip a little bit more fun for the kids. i will be practicing a lot more firelighting and so on before i attempt this out in the sticks (to ensure i don't look like a wally when i can't get the tinder to light!) it would also enable us to have a couple of campfires on the route

i guess what i'm after are a few ideas on which bushcraft activities i could demonstrate to the kids. i'm sure my firesteel and (following the most excellent bow drill demonstration at the Outdoors show Sunday) a bow drill demo would be good, however any other suggestions which might serve to educate and entertain them would also be a big help

i look forward to any replies

jamie

P.S any mods who feel this thread should perhaps be moved to another forum feel free, as the thread has indeed drifted a bit off the topic of "introducing myself", i just felt the ned to reply to those who had answered my initial post :eek:):

P.P.S. i never did get to catch the name of the chap who was giving the friction fire demonstrations at the BCUK stand at the NEC sunday. He very kindly took the time out to give me a personal demonstration of how to use a firesteel more effectively. If he reads/posts on these forums, i should just like to say a big thankyou for your help, it was much appreciated :notworthy

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hi shibbyjay.

Good to have you here!

The chap you met for FBF is Bow Drill Dave, and he runs a buscraft school and it is very good, I know, I just spent 3 days with him!

My advice is to contact him and I am sure his details are here somewhere but I will pass them on to you!

Cheers.

Jack.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
In the US you will need to carry a porta potty or something similar, especially for a group that size. They have strict "pack in pack out" policies there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE