Kit List 25+kgs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
i took 37 kg of kit to wales for new years. was soooo much bloody stuff that i had to have my short back bergan, with sidies and a 45ltr berghaus arete on the front.

if you can carry it and its not going to damage your back, then take it... if its going to leave you with a slipped disc then find ways to shed some gear!

new%2Byears%2Bclimbing.JPG

Loads like that bring back some memories.
It's no wonder my knees are wrecked

Chris

Fletching

Dec 6, 2010
London
i took 37 kg of kit to wales for new years. was soooo much bloody stuff that i had to have my short back bergan, with sidies and a 45ltr berghaus arete on the front.

if you can carry it and its not going to damage your back, then take it... if its going to leave you with a slipped disc then find ways to shed some gear!

...That's not going for a trip, that's suitable for a 'house swap in the country' episode!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

I think taking the bed & electric light was a bit much...

Rob

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
It sounds like your young one is at a similar stage to mine. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight provided you can carry it easily. Keep the distance reasonable and you shouldn't have any problems. I sometimes laugh at those crowing about how light their packs are when for an extended trip here that sort of weight wouldn't even cover the water you need to carry. I guess it teaches you quickly about essential and luxury items.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
for me it comes down to this, if you are roughing it, you are doing it wrong.... classic ray mears quote.... so take what you need to be comfortable! even a bed (with electric blanket id like to add) and an electric light... hahah

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I think the weight is about right. If you remove a few items that are doubled up and possibly share a little weight with your son, it wouldn't be that bad.

Get the weight on your hips and close to your back and it won't seem as heavy.
How old is your son?
How long will you be out? and
How far is the walk to camp?
do you expect rain?

If he can carry his own sleeping bag and a litre of water and maybe half the food, that would knock a fair bit off your weight
and reduce bulk.

Something to carry your kit in
LA sting.

Something to sleep under, sleep on and sleep in

sleeping bag (mountain equipment)
sleeping mat (alp kit Airo)
sleeping bag liner
hammock
vaude bivi
bivi
poncho
true north big tarp
smaller dmp tarp plus lines
lantern
head torch

can both sleep under the one tarp?

Something to cook over, something to cook in and something to carry water,

msr stove (fuel bottle)
trangia 25 + extra meths burner (meths bottle)
food 2 tins, 4packets dry, coffee, sugar, whiskey
lighter
msr water filter
3 ltrs water
knife fork spoon
billy can
knife
firelighter
folding saw
small hatchet
firelighter
multitool

This is where a fire saves bringing so much kit,
what will you eat out of? leave the hatchet out until you have a happy carrying weight.

Safety
first aid Kit

hygene
toilet role
wash bag (toothbrush / face cloth / mouth wash / soap )
towel

Navigation
compass
Map?

possibles
spare clothing?
wet gear?
trowel - not sure what this is for
bin bags

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
After reading this and before I realised wilderbeast had a sticky already. Did list and a weigh in for my kit,

Fully loaded for 24 hours out, Lowe Alpine sting with side pouches and an omni pouch on the back weighed in at 23.5 KG with a futher 1.7kg in my smock.

Empty LA sting with side pouches and straps plus omnipouch weighed = 2.7KG

All this kit I could go on for days but having to source more food, water and washing clothes. Don't feel your alone with the weight. The majority of my kit is Army Issue so while it is hard wearing it also weighs a lot compared, I can't see how some get down to 10kg or less with the cold nights we are having at the moment. Maybe summer gear would get close but I like my comforts.

I really could not see ditching any of the kit that would make a considerable difference to the weight, and if anything would take more but maybe some lightweight alternatives would save some.
If I get round to it might post the pics I took whilst weighing the gear.
HTH

Last edited:

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Cheers all for your input, as some of you have noticed i've got to carry some doubled items as im taking my young lad, and i dont want to "put him off" by making him carry to much or having an unpleasant time due to rain or lack of something etc.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
After reading this and before I realised wilderbeast had a sticky already. Did list and a weigh in for my kit,

Fully loaded for 24 hours out, Lowe Alpine sting with side pouches and an omni pouch on the back weighed in at 23.5 KG with a futher 1.7kg in my smock.

Empty LA sting with side pouches and straps plus omnipouch weighed = 2.7KG

All this kit I could go on for days but having to source more food, water and washing clothes. Don't feel your alone with the weight. The majority of my kit is Army Issue so while it is hard wearing it also weighs a lot compared, I can't see how some get down to 10kg or less with the cold nights we are having at the moment. Maybe summer gear would get close but I like my comforts.

I really could not see ditching any of the kit that would make a considerable difference to the weight, and if anything would take more but maybe some lightweight alternatives would save some.
If I get round to it might post the pics I took whilst weighing the gear.
HTH

I find that an awful lot. When i go out on ML courses, even during cold weather like this, as long as its not snowing, for a 24 hr period, including food and gear i would be expecting students to take 15-18kg and my personal kit to come to about 12kg (expensive stuff weighs less basically)

It may well be your army gear, that i can totally understand, my bloody vulcan is 3kg on its own! never mind about what goes in it! i run with it empty! just for the added weight. hahahahah. thats probably all it is for people that have 10kg bags. my sleeping bag is 1.7kg and goes down to about -12/-15, but its synthetic, if i spent god knows how many millions of pounds on a down bag it would be half that weight and be warmer!

so for a 24hr sesh, just you, your bag 15kg is achievable with average weight camping gear (i.e not military and not uber mega expensive) but for the pair of you, twenty kg is fine as well.

like i said before, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.... I could go out with a side satchel, therma rest pro lite, jungle sleeping bag, poncho and some food to eat cold, and my bag would come to 5km, possibly less, but it would probably be pretty boring... pretty cold and pretty miserable all in all... especially in wales as theres nothing to burn and no where to burn it....

give your 20kg a try! and when you get back, if there is stuff you didnt use, dont take it again! (excluding medic kit and obvious others) its a learning process.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Not meaning to hijack here, I find this discussion very interesting and it helps to keep in mind new possibilitys,

I'll post what I have in my bag tommorow, when I say 24hrs I tend to think on-wards of 24 hours. Sure I could carry less or the absolute bare essentials and just bung everything in the sack and be off first thing in the morning but if I wanted to be prepared for a walkabout and another night out, I would have my stuff, if you know what I mean.

Carrying a daysack with a sandwich and a sleeping bag "just in case" is not what I mean. The weight is the weight, I can't make my axe lighter unless I drill holes in the handle ;)

what do the students carry in the 18kg pack?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/default.asp
There is plenty of info on here I have looked at, but one I cant afford half of it, and two i'm not backpacking i'm scrafting. A 000.5 KG backpack aint going to last long wandering through bramble and gorse.

anyway, it's all good.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Not meaning to hijack here, I find this discussion very interesting and it helps to keep in mind new possibilitys,

I'll post what I have in my bag tommorow, when I say 24hrs I tend to think on-wards of 24 hours. Sure I could carry less or the absolute bare essentials and just bung everything in the sack and be off first thing in the morning but if I wanted to be prepared for a walkabout and another night out, I would have my stuff, if you know what I mean.

Carrying a daysack with a sandwich and a sleeping bag "just in case" is not what I mean. The weight is the weight, I can't make my axe lighter unless I drill holes in the handle ;)

what do the students carry in the 18kg pack?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/default.asp
There is plenty of info on here I have looked at, but one I cant afford half of it, and two i'm not backpacking i'm scrafting. A 000.5 KG backpack aint going to last long wandering through bramble and gorse.

anyway, it's all good.

well they dont take axes for a start so that prob takes a bit off.... they arent doing bushcraft so no tools like that of any kind. will dig out a kit list for you and post it tomorrow.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Well "test" weekend over...

Pardon the french, but f##k me im knackered !!!! Shoulders and knees are absolutely shot...

Old motorcycle injury on my left knee started causing problem not far into the hike to the site. Bates boots turned out to be feet shredders rather then the half decent boots i thought they'd be.
Tried, tried and tried to arrange my pack to "load" my waist rather than my shoulders, but it obviously it was far too heavy to begin with. My traps feel like i've done 1 million upright rows hahaha.

So now the kit review begins lol, im going to cull what i didn't use or didn't "really" need and see where i go from there. I still need to carry a fair weight though as my lad wont be able to carry his fair share

Thanks to all for your advice and help!

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi Mark,

When you are done would you mind posting up a list of stuff you are still packing? I find knowing what to take very hard as due to ill health SWMBO can't carry too much when we go.

Glad you made it back at least.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Hi Mark,

When you are done would you mind posting up a list of stuff you are still packing? I find knowing what to take very hard as due to ill health SWMBO can't carry too much when we go.

Glad you made it back at least.

Course i will, im trying to plan something for next w/e or maybe early march, so will do a similar breakdown and explain why i've left / kept particular things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE