Kit List 25+kgs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
How heavy is your kit bag ? I've doubled up on a few things as im taking my young lad for his first trip so he cant carry much.

Lowe Alpine Sting
sleeping bag (mountain equipment)
sleeping mat (alp kit Airo)
sleeping bag liner
hammock
vaude bivi
bivi
msr stove (fuel bottle)
trangia 25 + extra meths burner (meths bottle)
food 2 tins, 4packets dry, coffee, sugar, whiskey
lighter
msr water filter
3 ltrs water
knife fork spoon
billy can
knife
folding saw
small hatchet
firelighter
multitool
first aid
towel
toilet role
wash bag (toothbrush / face cloth / mouth wash / soap )
poncho
true north big tarp
smaller dmp tarp plus lines
lantern
compass
head torch
trowel
bin bags

Got it all packed up and thought i'd weighed it in, just approaching 25kgs :eek:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
maybe pick between saw and axe
i must admit ive stopped taking my leatherman as its quite heavy and carry a sak instead

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
3 litres of water and a water filter. are you camping near water?

also whats your camp set up? cos i can see 2 bivis and a hammock but only one sleeping bag

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Yeah i suppose, just like the versatility of each...

Thought i read 75kg's then, double take 7 !! how the heck do you get it down to that ?

multi use items,only taking what I need,all metalware is titanium and a long time saving money and experimenting with lots of kit.

I have a kit list here somewhere,I'll find it and put a link in this thread.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
3 litres of water and a water filter. are you camping near water?

also whats your camp set up? cos i can see 2 bivis and a hammock but only one sleeping bag

Im taking my young lad (he is carrying his own sleeping bag and inflatable mat) but he can't carry his fair share, hence the doubling up on stuff.

We will be relatively close to water, but im not 100% sure on the water source, hence the 3ltrs....

Hammock will mainly be used a "seat" rather than a bed, as its much lighter than a reclining deck chair :lmao:

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Lowe Alpine Sting
sleeping bag (mountain equipment)
sleeping mat (alp kit Airo)
sleeping bag liner
hammock
vaude bivi
bivi
msr stove (fuel bottle)
food 2 tins, 4packets dry, coffee, sugar, whiskey
lighter
msr water filter
3 ltrs water
knife fork spoon
billy can
knife
folding saw
small hatchet
firelighter
multitool
first aid
towel
toilet role
wash bag (toothbrush / face cloth / mouth wash / soap )
poncho
true north big tarp

lantern
compass
head torch
trowel
bin bags

lot of weight in metal too - maybe you could cut it down a little

and 3 tarps

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Wow, that's a lot. I weighed my bag last trip and it was just under 10kg without water, which I thought was a little on the heavy side.

I'd drop the filter and boil water, drop the hammock or a bivi, leave the multi-tool, take only one stove, choose between the axe and folding saw, leave the towel, the poncho, the small tarp, the lantern and the trowel and add another bottle of whiskey, but decant it into a plastic bottle. Job done.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Including 3L of water and food that isn't too bad for two of you. Is there anything your lad can carry in a small pack ?

There's a couple of things I'd drop from the list but that's only me. I'd leave out ...

bivi
msr water filter
multitool
towel
poncho
lantern
trowel

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Take the lot, your with your son.

Both enjoy the experience but make a checklist of what you didn't use on this trip and leave it out the next time.

Hope you both have a great time.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As Martin says I'd be less inclined to worry about the weight of stuff for the first trip out especially as you are getting out with your young son.

Sub 10KG packs are very commendable but generally contain kit for 1 person and the stuff in them is ultra lightweight etc.

For the type of trip it sounds like you are planning on having a bit of contingency kit and some home comforts is probably not a bad idea.

Actually getting out enjoying being out and learning what you need and what might be excess is all part of the process.

Have fun.

John

Fletching

Dec 6, 2010
London
Definitely what Martin says! You'll be surprised at what doesn't get used and what uses you can get out of things you wouldn't normally use them for (carefully!). See what you can get done with the stuff you don't use with the stuff you do use and see if there's any overlap. Hope that makes sense! Disclaimer here - as always - depends on the type/duration of trip.

Steve

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i took 37 kg of kit to wales for new years. was soooo much bloody stuff that i had to have my short back bergan, with sidies and a 45ltr berghaus arete on the front.

if you can carry it and its not going to damage your back, then take it... if its going to leave you with a slipped disc then find ways to shed some gear!

new%2Byears%2Bclimbing.JPG

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
i took 37 kg of kit to wales for new years. was soooo much bloody stuff that i had to have my short back bergan, with sidies and a 45ltr berghaus arete on the front.

if you can carry it and its not going to damage your back, then take it... if its going to leave you with a slipped disc then find ways to shed some gear!

new%2Byears%2Bclimbing.JPG

Yes but if you ditched all of the ice climbing tut how much would it have weighed :rolleyes:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Yes but if you ditched all of the ice climbing tut how much would it have weighed :rolleyes:

hahah gear is gear!!! gotta be carried regardless!!!! the bloody irony of it was, we got out the car, switched from snowing to heavy rain, by the time id got to where we wanted to be, which was about 6km through forest, there was no snow or ice to be seen anywhere! couldnt believe it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
hahah gear is gear!!! gotta be carried regardless!!!! the bloody irony of it was, we got out the car, switched from snowing to heavy rain, by the time id got to where we wanted to be, which was about 6km through forest, there was no snow or ice to be seen anywhere! couldnt believe it!

Gutted :( .

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
why do you need two tarps? and a poncho? seems like a bit much.... kfs, two sticks = chopsticks. problem solved 100g saved... only 24.9kg to go....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE