kit help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I mean no offense Durulz?

Absolutely no offence taken whatsoever, my friend.
In fact, your post highlights a VERY important fact - what one person loves another will hate. That's all part and parcel of bushcrafting and what makes it so interesting. One person will swear by a bit of kit (e.g. German army sleeping bags) and another will give them a wide berth (e.g. German army sleeping bags). And both are correct.
I quite enjoy that aspect of bushcrafting - trying things out, deciding what is right for you etc. If you go to a moot (which I never have) or go camping with friends (which I do) it's always interesting to see how other people do things and what they use, so you can experiment yourself.
I suppose that's why I suggested holding fire on shelling out a lot of money at the start. Get to know what YOUR requirements are.
Here's a good thing to do. Go out to the local woods, or wherever you're thinking of going, and set up camp. Set it all up properly, as if you were staying for the night. Make yourself a brew. Make something to eat (and I don't mean open a Ginsters - not that I ever would). Sit back, relax for a while. Get to know where all your kit is, think about how it was packed, think about what is or isn't working, what could be done more efficiently, how much are you carrying - could you do away with anything or get a lighter/smaller version, what you need, what you could do without. All those things. Then pack it up and go home. Do this a few times to get a good idea of what you have and what you need and what needs to be replaced.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
to me the only way forward is to just go out with whatever you have and enjoy yourself, the less kit the better in a way.
over time you'll want more gear, but don't get tied up with that - it only ever gets in the way really

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Maybe it's good to think about doing a beginners course. Then you learn how to safely use a knife(which is very important) and so on. Just to get you started. And you probably get information from the instructor about good gear.(maybe he sells it cheap too)

Some things can be improvised simply.
I use a 5 euro poncho as a tarp or some a sheet of cheap, thin, black plastic. Attachment points can be made by folding a small stone in a corner.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's true what you say about efficiency Durulz. The Ratbag has tried many different ways of perfecting his hammock system. Each time we go out, it seems he is trying a new way! Some ideas we sat down and tried out on paper, which seemed to work. Get into the woods and try it practically and you find that the system isn't quite so fool proof. Strivinbg for that perfection in your kit and techniques is a great mission, and keep you wanting to get outdoors and try another way. I think Gallaines' set up for his hammock is about as perfect and easy a system I have seen yet. That willingness to experiment with kit instead of going with the flow is quite cool IMO. Just because we are in to the same hobby, doesn't mean we should follow each other blindly.

There's some good points being made here, and it goes to show that a newcomer to the hobby has a lot of searching to do in order to get out for the first time. I quite envy them, the mistakes that will be made along the way, the poor kit choices, the disasters when you didn't pack that container of sugar correctly, etc! It's happened to us all, and makes life in the great outdoors a rewarding and fun experience! Every day is a learning day.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Lots of great tips here on keeping the costs down.
My advice would be - don't be affraid to try making something for yourself. Commercially available items are made to fit mister average, you might like more room here or less in the way there. It also has the advantage of leading you into a frame of mind where, you are not worried about modifying things to suit your needs, and you won't be too precious about breaking things if you know how to make them in the first place.

Have fun with it

ATB

Ogri the trog

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Lots of great tips here on keeping the costs down.
My advice would be - don't be affraid to try making something for yourself. Commercially available items are made to fit mister average, you might like more room here or less in the way there. It also has the advantage of leading you into a frame of mind where, you are not worried about modifying things to suit your needs, and you won't be too precious about breaking things if you know how to make them in the first place.
Now that is good sound advice, many of us spend money on items which we want and then spend time, effort, and imagination building or making something which we already own, but the bought stuff never has the same satisfaction value as something we made ourselves which in many cases doesnt work as well as the bought kit.
We are a strange breed!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I saw a pair of North Face walking boots at the car boot today but they were £25 and a ghastly colour...

But they looked almost new, and I dread to think what they would have costed new.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
you don't realy need anything, just a bit of land, some legs and a pair of eyes, it will all grow from there, a cheap tarp, sleeping bag, bivi, foam mat and rucksack should set you back about £0-£40, then just pack some sandwhiches and stuff for dinner/breakfast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE