Kit and clothes hangers - how do you stow your kit when hammocking ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I have tied old stuff sacks at the foot and head of my hammock. The bottom of the stuff sacks are the bits attached. I simply open the stuff sack and pop what I want stored into it.

As I sleep at an angle there is plenty of space for these stuff sacks.

George

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the feedback so far...

I'm working on an idea for an easy to use, lightweight, rainproof and very cheap DIY kit stowage system that might interest a lot of you and wanted to gauge the way some people do it already and so watch this space.... I'll post up my idea with pics when it's finished... got a bit of fine tuning to do still...!

Paul.

Hi Paul :)

Fresh ideas are very much welcomed, looking forward to seeing what you have invented.

If its a ridgeline organizer, check on HF-theres loads of those been done and written up-you might find some extra inspiration for your project.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I store everything I'm not using in my pack.
My clothes that I was wearing usually get rolled up and tucked in the bottom/top of the hammock.
Boots are on the ground.
My knife is generally clipped to my ridgeline, which also holds my head torch and my glasses. other bits and pieces go into the pouch on the hammock.
The rucksack itself is usually suspended from a strap around the tree I'm hanging from, with a poncho over it (the strap goes through the neck hole) which keeps everything off the ground.
For longer camps, when I have more stuff, I have a small fishing shelter that I use as a gear annex for storage.
liking the idea of a little extra shelter for your stuff on long stays mate, never really thought of that, i no just the type you mean, and they don't take up huge amounts of room

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
liking the idea of a little extra shelter for your stuff on long stays mate, never really thought of that, i no just the type you mean, and they don't take up huge amounts of room

I picked mine up for about £5 at aldi/lidl I think.
It's not bad. Weighs very little and packs down small.
I'll probably have it with me at the Moot.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
http://espressopaulo.com/11.html
11.html

Backpack tied off ground on one of the hanging trees. Everything inside in color coded stuff sacks except - ALL food, toiletries, and used clothes suspended in a bear bag 20 ft off the ground 100ft(ish) away from the camp. All cooking and eating 100 ft away from camp. Absolutely no food or anything that might be conceived to smell like food (e.g. peppermint toothpaste) in the camp particularly NO sneaky Mars bars for a midnight feast - 'cause you might BE the midnight feast. Backpack suspended off ground to reduce the likelyhood of finding e.g. a snake in it next morning!
Sometimes I yearn for the wet & windy Welsh mountains.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Stuff that I'm not going to use stays in dry bags in the pack which I suspend from one of the two trees I'm dangling from. A couple of climbing slings are really useful for keeping your gear off the deck and so 'out of trouble'. Stuff that is in use I usually suspend from a separate line under my tarp though, on longer stays, it does look and feel more like an overstocked hardware store than a place of rest! Still, at least it's all there or thereabouts...

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Usually I use a couple of tripods, and some 'S' shaped pieces of strong wire to hang off the ridge line. I also have a picnic blanket under the hammock to put stuff on and myself as well lol! :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I cheat and take a 'Mule' bike trailer instead of a rucksack - which is ok for most of what I do. Key thing though is that I have stuff in bags (mainly made out of old - and cheap - builder's tarp) with LABLES on. At least then I don't have to open all the bags to find what I am looking for

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
anything i need in the night goes in my hammock storage bag which hangs on a second ridgeline suspended underneath my tarp. anything i don't need goes in a "hang-out hammock" which i bought off amazon cos they were dirt cheap, which hangs underneath my main hammock.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I'm going to start doing a more refined version of this as it worked really well, was the first nearly organised camp I has and it makes a hell of a difference especially when it started raining and I didn't have to scramble everywhere looking for kit that was lying everywhere.

DSC00368.jpg

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
My favoured method is a net hammock slung under my hammock always use that in winter Makes tidying up easy and keeps stuff off the ground
In summer i don't bother so much as I don't have as much kit and just use my rucksack
I have used one of those single pole beach/fishing shelters from Aldi when car camping or with the family and it is very useful if there is a group as everyone can use it.Good for food and beer storage
Interested to hear what your system is if its lightweight and DIY

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE