Kindle readers - advice please

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm about to take the plunge and buy an ordinary cheapest Kindle because I like reading while sitting in woods and lying in my hammock. What I'd like to know is that it reads fine with a head-torch. I can't see why it shouldn't as they say it has a matte screen and is good in bright sunlight.

Thanks folks ...

Elen Sentier

If it's anything like the Kindle app on my phone Elen, it will be backlit, so you won't need your headtorch.

Cheers, Michael

The ordinary Kindle isn't and they just stopped doing the paperwhite which was - now do expensive poncy 3G thing that I don't need :(. I've got the app on my phone too but it uses too much battery, hence wanting Kindle.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
SWMBO uses one of the original Kindles a lot, not often with a head torch but it can be done.

You probably don't want a backlit one for camping as it will be very heavy on batteries as you've found with the 'phone.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mine is fine Elen, it gets a bit iffy on full pelt 150 lumens lol. My headlight is highly variable and i find 10 lumens perfect. I do notice a difference in that i use a warm hi-cri white light rather than the stark cool whites of most head torches. Its easier on the eyes. Zebra h31 hi-cri in case you want to know :)

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi Ellen,

They're fine with a head torch, lantern, candle or any other light source you care to use. I bought a really cheap clip on book light for when swmbo is asleep which is really good.

Amazon have quite a large selection of free books you can download and I expect there are loads of us on here who can email some to you or help out if you need any advice.
There also a really good program called calibre that you can download for free that converts any type of document or book to the format (mobi) that kindle understands instead of having to buy direct from amazon.

Honestly you will love it, I like my technology and I reckon my kindle was by far my best purchase in recent years.

Hamster

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just get the basic Kindle, lasts ages between charges. Tell me what books you like and I'll email you a couple of hundred to start you off.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I've been using the Kindle with keyboard for 2 years almost everyday, i take it into the woods and use it very successfully with a torch without issue.

It lasts months between charges and i wouldnt be without it!

Dave

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've got the basic Kindle and it suits me fine and lasts ages between charges. I always take it on trips as it is less breakable (and valuable!) than my iPad mini (which also has the Kindle app on it). To read at night I use a head torch or a little LED thing I use in my tent or tarp. Brilliant for holidays as I can stock up with books before I go and even download new ones if I can get onto wifi (mine isn't the 3G type).

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Basic kindle without keyboard is fine with head torch or clip on, I just got a solar case which has a built in light, I tend to use the ipad in low light though

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Just be careful to get a very sturdy case if you're taking it out into the woods. I took mine to Bushmoot last week and managed to break my second one in a year! The top half of the screen is fine, but the bottom is stuck permanently on half a picture! Now having to use my phone until I can afford a new one....

The basic model is absolutely fine with a head torch or reasonable camp light though and I wouldn't be with out one. There are even a fair few free books on outdoorsy stuff that come in very handy....

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Just be careful to get a very sturdy case if you're taking it out into the woods. I took mine to Bushmoot last week and managed to break my second one in a year! The top half of the screen is fine, but the bottom is stuck permanently on half a picture! Now having to use my phone until I can afford a new one....

The basic model is absolutely fine with a head torch or reasonable camp light though and I wouldn't be with out one. There are even a fair few free books on outdoorsy stuff that come in very handy....

I've found the kindle pretty tough (apart from the one I knelt on :aargh4:). But as I wanted something more pocket sized I got the kobo mini-reader - broke 2 without doing anything particularly with them in less than a month - just took a refund for the second.

Wish they'd make one to my specs:
# 8cm x 12cm.
# backlit like the paperwhite
# dragonglass front, metal case.
# Waterproof (for in bath reading without the ziplock bag I use)
# Load by connecting to computer or wifi.

All doable with current tech.

Not required:
* Colour
* video
* music
* internet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE