kilt supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
my delightful girlfriend had decided that she'd like to buy me a kilt!
bless her.
can someone point me in the direction of a good supplier please, i don't really know a great deal about the things other than that the one occasion i did wear one i found it to be just about the most comfortable garment imaginable.
there's no great rush, i think it'll probably end up as a christmas pressie, it might even end up being a great excuse for a weekend in scotland.
all advice gratefully recieved,

cheers,

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just been looking at tartans, i'm amazed by the variety, could spend the rest of my life choosing a colour scheme!

stuart

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Another option would be a wedding hire place - they sometimes sell off old outfits when they aren't good enough to hire out, but are still in pretty good condition.

Geoff

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i had no idea how incomplete my life was until i googled utilikilt! i gotta get me one of them.
the best bit being that when anyone asks me why on earth i'm wearing a manskirt i can say "don't blame me, it was crazydaves idea".
love the blondie themed advert, not sure i've got the nads for that tho! (take that how you like)

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
OMG the world's gone mad, SWMBO already thinks i have a forum problem (here, SOTP, BB, equipped, etc) if i tell her i've joined a kilt forum..............on second thoughts, i don't think i'll join a kilt forum, i'm not quite that secure in my sexuality!

stuart

Craigeam

Sep 3, 2005
Na H-Eileanan an Iar
Stuart

If you are after a traditional kilt supplier a good place to look is MacNaughtons in Pitlochry.

http://www.macnaughtonsofpitlochry.co.uk

I bought my kilt there about fourteen years ago when I lived down in that area, then it was a good traditional shop with excellent service and I doubt it will have changed much over the years. Its also in a nice part of the country if you are planning a visit.

Cheers,

Donald.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All of the above links are well regarded, but might I suggest looking in any town with a University in it too? Many Scot's lads are given their kilt outfit as part of their 21st birthday present (not surprising since the whole set up can cost a couple of thousand pounds) but many more buy or hire them for graduation and the University towns carry a big range of kilts in all price brackets, weights and tartans.

Depending on what you are going to do while wearing the kilt might change which weight you want to buy. Hill kilts are heavier weight and a little less fabric while for dancing a lightweight one is more comfortable; for rugby/ football, clubbing and the like, ex military ones or hire ones can be a really good buy :D

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A great kilt would be more my kind of thing :D

LiamNeeson_RobRoy.jpg

And with wedding bells on the horizon the temptation to get one is growing.

:D

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I have bought bits for my pipes and bought/had bought for me my kilts for 20 odd years from a company called Burnside Highland in Falkirk. Simply a good old fashioned shop with a little old lady that has more talent in her fingers than I could dream of.

http://www.burnsidehighlanddress.co.uk/

My only advice would be don't buy off the internet. Go get it made properly. Yes you pay more but you get the better weight of fabric and you get a garment that will fit and last for years. My son is getting into my first kilt very soon for a wedding - cue proud dad moment!

No connection with the shop apart from a very happy customer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Quite healthy :D
Limited range of tartans unless you pay the Mill prices though :(

Linen sark no problem, waistcoat or jacket would be better tailored to fit.

Sporran; I can send you a pattern for one true to period, or good makers contacts.
How 'rustic' do you think you'd like shoes and hose ?

cheers,
M

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Having worn a dress kilt for a wedding, I'm not averse to the idea of wearing a kilt per se.
However the tightness of a belt around my midriff causes indigestion on an industrial scale, which leads me to wearing braces and the image descends into the "Russ Abbott" school of Scotsmen. However, the idea of a Great Kilt is applealing, so, if I can afford and obtain a length of plaid (or suitable substitute), can I politely ask of any Scots attending the summer moot to advise me on its wearing please. I've seen some of the on-line tutorials but there's nothing like being shown by someons who knows their onions!
And if you have any advice on buying plaid, I'm all ears.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE