Khukuri questions

Nov 25, 2005
Finland
Anybody have khukuri for use? What is best place to buy one? Could it used in wilderness or is it useful only when hanging on the wall as decoration?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've tried a few kukri. They aren't for everyone but there are a lot of fans of them. www.toratoratora.co.uk has a forum and the tora kukri seem well made. Oh the kukri I've used my favorite is the MKII which my dad has. This just seems the right weight for me to use. The M45 is a variation on the MKII so should feel very similar.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've had one for a while...not my cup of tea but each to their own.

I'm looking to get rid for a sensible price. PM me if you're interested and i'll send you some piccies.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If you are ever in Nepal there is a superb Kukri shop in Kathmandu run by the Nepalese army. I never realised there were so many different types. You can buy a huge kukri that will take the head off a bullock at a single stroke (they even have a picture in the shop to prove it). Now thats a sharpening challange if ever there was one!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've got one.
the blade is great. the handle is a little small for me.
otherwise it's great.
while it's not the best carver in the world, i have made spoons with mine.
if you have the cash handy it's worth having one.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Wolverine
I have purchased Khukuri from the following, the first address is their direct website the second is their ebay shop.
They came direct from nepal in 10 days and were razor sharp on delivery.
I brought their Service No 2 which is current Ghurka Issue I mainly use it for clearing undergrowth in the garden but it would be equally at home in the bush as different parts of the blade are designed for different purposes.
If you go on their website there is lots of usefull info
I hope this helps even if you do not use it in the bush they do certainly look good on the wall
Chas
http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com/
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Nepalese-Khukuri-USA_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Pound for pound a most khukuris will not chop as well as a hatchet, so mostly when I am backpacking I take a hatchet because I get more chop per weight.

However if you are trail clearing, chopping a variety of diameter vegetation, then a khukuri is the way to go, because it can machete or it can chop.

Myself I prefer in the 15 to 18" model and pound to pound and a half. Go above that weight and I feel you cannot swing it fast enough to cut the small stuff. Go below about 1 lb 4oz(for me) and it loses too much of it's chopping ability.

Also many khukuris have too steep of an edge. This may keep it from binding when you are chopping but greatly cuts down on the efficiency of each chop, and also with the steep edge you wind up beating the smaller limbs off instead of slicing them.

Most of the khukuri makers make decent blades but I think for best use the criteria above should be met.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE