Kettle

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Reporting back. I can get 5 pints in the 16cm Zebra kettle. The spout's set a bit down from the top of the kettle, which means you can't fill it right to the top like you would with a billy can. 5 pints should be plenty and the kettle's a good solid construction and should fare better than the bigger aluminium ones I had been looking at.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Well, as per the warning by Scanker, the kettle came with all plastic handles, not metal with a plastic grip as per the photo on the website...........Bugger!

Never mind says I. Thirty minutes later the plastic knob on the kettle had been replaced with a wooden one and the 'orrible plastic handle had been replaced with a section of 15mm copper pipe.

I can't post images 'coz I'm not a full member, but look here in my gallery to see how it looks.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Gallery.html

Maybe one of the full members would be so kind as to post it on the thread?

I know the copper handle is gonna get hot, but then again, so would a steel one! I might get round to putting a wooden grip on it, but then again, I might just use a rag or a pair of gloves when I lift it.............

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here it is. You don't need to be a full member, just know the dark arts: :D

Kettle1.JPG

Nice job. Looks a very practical solution. Will there be any reaction between the two different metals?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Well, as per the warning by Scanker, the kettle came with all plastic handles, not metal with a plastic grip as per the photo on the website...........Bugger!

Never mind says I. Thirty minutes later the plastic knob on the kettle had been replaced with a wooden one and the 'orrible plastic handle had been replaced with a section of 15mm copper pipe.

I can't post images 'coz I'm not a full member, but look here in my gallery to see how it looks.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Gallery.html

Maybe one of the full members would be so kind as to post it on the thread?

I know the copper handle is gonna get hot, but then again, so would a steel one! I might get round to putting a wooden grip on it, but then again, I might just use a rag or a pair of gloves when I lift it.............

Why copper might I ask? It would be one of the worst metals for getting hot from the water.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Probably just what was to hand.

Exactly that! It was what I had kicking about in the shed and it was easy to form. If I'd had a bit of aluminium I'd have probably used that, but copper was all I had.

As for the metals reacting together, I dunno. I know steel and ally will react when wet, with the ally corroding away, but I don't know about ally and copper. The manufacturers had used steel nuts and machine screws to fix on the plastic handles, so it can't be too much of an issue?

Any boffins out there care to comment on the aluminium / steel / copper combination?

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
....and not being one to sit around doing nothing when I'm at home,

I give you the Surrey Yeoman Tripod / Pot Hanger!

Made from three of the steel pins you see holding up that orange plastic mesh temporary fencing on building sites. Three pins @ £2.50 each from a local builders' merchant, plus a 2" key ring that I had laying about. The chain is something else from the shed and the hooks on the chain are bent galvanised nails. Total cost, under eight quid! If you wanted to save weight, I believe you can get them in aluminium.

I had to drill a 5mm hole between the folds of the metal at the top to accommodate the keyring top link.

Should last for decades!

Pic 1 - the general view

DSCN1314.JPG

Pic 2 - close up of top link

DSCN1313.JPG

Pic 3 - hanging chain detail (sorry it's a bit blurred)

DSCN1315.JPG

Pic 4 - hanging neatly away!

DSCN1316.JPG

I thank you!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Great idea with the keyring. Where do you find a 2 inch one? I'll have to copy that idea - we currently have a long chain that we loop round and around the pins, but that's a far neater solution.

fast but dim

On a new journey
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
....and not being one to sit around doing nothing when I'm at home,

I give you the Surrey Yeoman Tripod / Pot Hanger!

Made from three of the steel pins you see holding up that orange plastic mesh temporary fencing on building sites. Three pins @ £2.50 each from a local builders' merchant, plus a 2" key ring that I had laying about. The chain is something else from the shed and the hooks on the chain are bent galvanised nails. Total cost, under eight quid! If you wanted to save weight, I believe you can get them in aluminium.

I had to drill a 5mm hole between the folds of the metal at the top to accommodate the keyring top link.

Should last for decades!

Pic 1 - the general view

DSCN1314.JPG

Pic 2 - close up of top link

DSCN1313.JPG

Pic 3 - hanging chain detail (sorry it's a bit blurred)

DSCN1315.JPG

Pic 4 - hanging neatly away!

DSCN1316.JPG

I thank you!

you are a genius!!!!!:You_Rock_

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Scanker,

I picked up a handful of 2" keyrings at a boot sale many years ago. Alas, I've used them up on various "projects" over the years and this was my last one. Shouldn't be too hard to turn one up from somewhere though - I'd try key cutters or an Ironmonger's shop.

Failing that, a 2" loop of thick fencing wire, twisted firmly together should do the trick!

fast but dim,

Thank-you for your kind words!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE