Kettle

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm having trouble finding a big kettle that I could use over a fire. Ideally some sort of cast iron affair with 6 pint or more capacity, but I suppose stainless steel or aluminium could be considered. Has anyone got any ideas where I might find one? Thanks.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Cheers all. Just ordered one in steve a's link above. Funnily enough I ordered one from Ebay that looked just like that only when it arrived it was something different entirely with a plastic handle. Phoned them up to make sure it had a metal handle, so all should be OK.

@maver - there's 6 or 7 of us and we want to have hot water on tap.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Hmmm. Not sorted. Just had a phone call to say that all the kettles have all plastic handles so I've had to cancel. Still looking. Might have to get a big billy and a ladel. I'd prefer a kettle though.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Look for Ronnie Sunshines, he has a store on EBAY as well as his own site. I bought a enamel cowboy cookset of him for about £20, 4 cups, plates, large billy and the all important large coffee pot. It's the dogs for that constant hot water need.

No connection to them, etc.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have one of those. Now if it were a 24cm zebra kettle we might be in business.

Actually, I don't know the volume of the zebra kettle, I'll have to measure it.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Try these, good service, no connection etc
bottom of page
http://armytents.co.uk/index.php?page=2&act=viewCat&catId=5

Just ordered one of the 10 pint "catering" kettles from these people - interesting that the web address says "Armytents," the website itself is labelled as "Europlus" and the lady answered to phone as "Thatchreed Ltd." Confused!

Anyway, looking at the picture of the kettle on the website it looks like the handle is made of metal after all with just the hand grip and the knob on the lid made of plastic. That's what I'm expecting and I plan to replace the grip and knob with hardwood items more suited to the campfire. I plan to incorporate a hanging ring on the handle at the point of balance too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
you could use a modified beer keg, those kegs with integrated co2 capsule should work(after removing the tap system off course) , a inbev "perfect draft" keg is made a bit more solid and costs about 5 euros in the netherlands(witouth the beer off course)....

don't know wether they sell those kegs in the uk.......

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just ordered one of the 10 pint "catering" kettles from these people - interesting that the web address says "Armytents," the website itself is labelled as "Europlus" and the lady answered to phone as "Thatchreed Ltd." Confused!

Anyway, looking at the picture of the kettle on the website it looks like the handle is made of metal after all with just the hand grip and the knob on the lid made of plastic. That's what I'm expecting and I plan to replace the grip and knob with hardwood items more suited to the campfire. I plan to incorporate a hanging ring on the handle at the point of balance too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

See my quoted post below:

Hmmm. Not sorted. Just had a phone call to say that all the kettles have all plastic handles so I've had to cancel. Still looking. Might have to get a big billy and a ladel. I'd prefer a kettle though.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Ah. I've got a 14cm kettle. For some reason I thought it was 16cm. The 14cm kettle holds 3 pints with half an inch to spare at the top.

I think I'm going to have to look for a 16cm kettle.

Edit to add I've just ordered a 16cm Zebra kettle from Ebay. Cheers for the volume calc Jared, it should be just the ticket.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
(7 * 7 * pi * 14) * (cubic centimeter) = 3.79250155 Imperial pints

Is the 16cm kettle 18cm high? The height isn't listed on zebra's site, the 18cm I used was from the billy can, assumed they were basically the same thing, just with a spout.

If its only 16cm..

(8 * 8 * pi * 16) * (cubic centimeter) = 5.66111018 Imperial pints

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The 14cm kettle looks to be about 13.5cm tall and I estimate I filled it to about 12cm. The 14cm value looks like it's an outer diameter too, and there's a little reduction due to the internal radius at the bottom where the side meets the base, although I suppose that's compensated slightly by the spout. Using a height of 12 cm gives a theoretical volume of 3¼ pints, so a little over estimate.

I reckon I'll get 5½ pints in the 16cm, but will report back when it arrives.

Crikey - this turned out a bit complicated for a kettle thread. I'm sure it'll make a lovely brew! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE