Kent pattern axe refurbishment: vintage axe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
This morning we went to a local flea market, and I picked up some quality old tools. Among which was an old and heavily used Kaye and sons Hull No1 Kent pattern axe. I asked how much it was and it was an amazing £1, not even worth a haggle! I set about restoring it with some varying grades of high quality sand paper and some fine wire wool. The look I wanted was vintage - used but cared for. I didn't aim for a satin finish but removed the surface rest and cleaned it up, sharpened it and sanded and oiled the handle. It came up great, cuts really well and I'm chuffed with it!

After researching the company I discovered they had started in 1848, and went bust in 1982, so I know this axe is at least 32 years old. The company had been taken over and got renamed after 1848, so it probably isn't super old, but it's a proper vintage axe with top quality steel too!

I'm really pleased, so picture say a thousand words here it is:

Before:

imagejpg1_zpsde96e5b6.jpg

imagejpg2_zps8af579a2.jpg

After:

imagejpg1_zps21d26d00.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9d598d9a.jpg

I oiled the handle after the photo was taken, but it just brought the grain out a bit more. Anyway hope you like it! :)

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Nice work, did you do it all by hand?
I just bought a kent pattern axe, not a number 1 as far as I know and not at such a steal. Im planning on refurbishing the head and putting a new handle on it, ill try to remember to post a pic when done :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice work, dud you donit all by hand?
I just bought a kent pattern axe, not a number 1 as far as I know and not at such a steal. Im planning on refurbishing the head and putting a new handle on it, ill try to remember to post a pic when done :)

Yes mate all done by hand :).

Sounds good too- I've never hafted an axe before, I might try it If I find a head :).

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Sweet I just bought my first vintage Kent axe this morning 2!will post some pics when I get home, I'm looking to fix it up but need to start researching on methods first as I am totally new to this

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sweet I just bought my first vintage Kent axe this morning 2!will post some pics when I get home, I'm looking to fix it up but need to start researching on methods first as I am totally new to this

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cheers! Sounds good too! :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nicely done Cameron :). Out of curiosity what is the Kent pattern axe originally designed for, looks like it doesn't have enough of a wedge to be a good splitter. Carving maybe?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cheers!

I'm not sure about the design, I thought it was a historical thing? It does work well for general stuff though :).

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice work there, I like to see old tools being made use off rather then binned :), I ve been known to do the odd one myself, but as far as rust removal goes, not a fan of sand paper and wire wool.. as it happens I ve got two axe heads in the Molasses at the mo :)

I have also wondered why the Kent is so shaped and done quite a bit of research, but still not yet found an answer that pin points it, but I like it, and I think so did loads of others that why the shape is popular, lol

The history of the Kent pattern axe is not well defined or how it become that shape, I have read it has been thought that it comes from the stone age where long rounded cutting edges were better and would last longer, mainly because they were longer, I've also read that it comes from the early ship building in Kent mainly the Dover area, being used firstly as a side axe for working large lumps of wood and the large round bite was good as this, another thought was that the shape of the axe was better for tree felling as it had a wide bite that and a narrow cheek section and that made cutting harder woods like oak easier.

I dont think that anyone really knows, its like every thing once it made by one person, and it sells well, others copy it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE