Kent Group April outing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So this Sunday saw 5 intrepid members of the BCUK Kent group donned packs and head off into the East Kent Wilderness to check out a potential permission, hoping it's suitable to use for overnighters and extended trips in the future.

In attendance were Birchwood, JPL (+ Wife), Quixoticgeek, and Graham (Still trying to persuade to join the forum).

The day was a beautiful warm spring day, and the woods were simply glorious. The bluebells were just starting their display, the hazel were in leaf, it was a pleasure to be there.

With packs on backs, we set off into the woods, taking the lesser used path down towards where there was a stream marked on the map. Just short of the stream, we broke from the path and found a suitable site to make camp in the shelter of two trees that had come down in storms, one of which was still trying very hard to be alive, with a single upright a good 10"+ in diameter off the main fallen trunk.

With a site found, we made a small fire using a few bits of dead standing in the area, not a big fire, just enough to make a brew. Fire set, we variously set about a few activities, JPL and myself made char cloth, Birchwood experimented with the tool bargains she'd picked up at a car boot sale that morning. With the char cloth charing away nicely, and with the coffee/tea drunk, 4 of us decided to explore the wood in more detail, Birchwood kindly stayed in camp tending the fire and looking after the biscuits (to stop the squirrels running off with them, honest...)

Out walk was just over an hour and at a guess in the region of 4-5km, en route we found an honesty box with some eggs in it, Quixoticgeek picked up half a dozen to try cooking in the embers of the fire. The area is simply beautiful, tho in some places the rhododendrons are encroaching.

Upon our return Quixoticgeek decided to bomb the campsite with exploding eggs... The theory was to cook hard boiled eggs in the embers of the campfire. Alas they all exploded rather a lot. The bits that were salvaged from the shrapnel tasted good by all reports, and noone had any lasting injuries...

Some of us cooked up their lunch, including a communal pot of "Chicken Hotpot" from a long life pouch made by Sainsburies (In their free from range) It wasn't the most appetising looking meal, but tasted ok. Would no doubt be better after a long days hiking...

As the day started to taper off, and the temperature drop, we watered the fire, stacked some firewood for the next trip, and tried to leave as little trace as we could, before exiting to the waiting wagons and trips home.

All in all it seems everyone enjoyed a relaxing day out in beautiful woods.

Pictures to follow.
------------------

On a personal note, it was an interesting exercise for me, cooking lunch in the fire using my crusader cup, I discovered the weaknesses in the system, and reaffirmed my desire to purchase a new pair of billy cans to use instead, I also came to the decision that I need to get myself a small cup to drink from separate to the water boiling vessel. Days like this are there to shake down kit like this, better to learn it here, than half way along the cape wrath trail...

Julia

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Nice read. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. On a side note, what weakness did you discover with the Crusader, only I am atm looking go get a solo lightweight system. The BCB Crusader is one of the kits I am looking at .

TIA

Pete

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Nice read. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. On a side note, what weakness did you discover with the Crusader, only I am atm looking go get a solo lightweight system. The BCB Crusader is one of the kits I am looking at .

You may want to break this out into a thread in the kit chatter section. However:

The issues I had:

• It's heavy, as in *really* heavy. Compared to what you can get for not much more money, including the burner base, it's over 1lb.
  • The plastic lid is not very useful, and the metal ones you can buy weigh the same as the rest of the system put together.
  • The handles aren't insulated, making it a sod to use over the fire.
  • It's big, 750ml. When someone offers you coffee and you stick this thing out, you either end up with a splash in the bottom the right strength, or 750ml of something verging on homoeopathic. This is assuming the person kindly offering you said coffee isn't insulted by you proffering a bucket to be filled.
  • The PTFE coating is coming off after years of abuse, especially round where the plastic water bottle sits.
  • The cooker unit is very inflexible, you can use: Hex tabs, gel fuels. You can't use meths or twigs or any such like. A hobo stove is likely to be lighter, and more flexible...

So those are the areas I've found with this unit. I've had this crusader for something in the region of 10 years, and I have used it on trips across Europe, it's served me well, but given all of the above, and my changing use case, I think I want to move more towards a lighter set. I have my eyes on the Evernew Appalachian set and some extra pots to go with it. Tho I appreciate this is considerably more expensive than the crusader set, it is more versatile, and I can get 3 pots, a meths burner, a hex burner, and a wood burner in the weight of the crusader mug and burner.

Anyway, this is tangential to the trip report, maybe we should take this to the kit chatter area?

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Photos.

The group, minus Quixoticgeek, who's behind the camera.

groupshot1_sm.jpg

The woods we were beautiful, with the bluebells in bloom and the spring sunshine. My photos do not do them justice:
bluebellwoods3_sm.jpg

bluebellwoods2_sm.jpg

bluebellwoods1_sm.jpg

bluebell1_sm.jpg

As a group we tried to make dampa, some of us tried it in a big iron frying pan, which worked, but took a while, where as Birchwood tried the traditional wrap it round a hazel stick and see what happens approach.

dampa1_sm.jpg

Growing out of the log I was using as a backrest, the fallen tree that was still alive previously mentioned, there was a branch of dead standing. Birchwood, testing her newly acquired folding saw, decided to fell this branch to add to the fire, and in so doing, became the 2nd person to have ever dropped a tree on me (another story for the pub sometime...) Yay for bump caps...

This then left a nice neat area where the tree had once been. I commented that Birchwood had planned most badly as it was at too steep an angle to use as a cup rest... So, with the sort of sillyness that comes towards the end of the day, she rectified this... by cutting trying to level it off, then realising that if you flip the biscuit that was removed, it was level enough for a cup of coffee...

cuprest1_sm.jpg

Thanks

Julia

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I would just like to say that is not a caterpiller on a stick,and when it was cooked through-with some syrup on,it tasted ok.
I did not eat the bikkys when they were out trekking, it WAS the squirrels.
I have shell shock.
It was an eggstraordinarily good day out.

Thanks to all for the good company.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE