Kelly/ Storm kettle on an open fire

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It probably would , just no where near as efficient and could end up damaging the bottom lip .
They work on draft and draw .....
Have you acquired one without a base ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Done it loads of times...

Just be careful about handle and cork placement.

As Chiseller mentioned, it needs an up-draught, so choose and area of the fire pit or suitably sized fuels to allow that airflow.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i use mine on open fires all the time (even been known to put it on top of the forge on more than one occasion!). Place it on top of couple of sticks/rocks to allow air to pass underneath it and watch out where the handle is sitting, but otherwise its fine.

When I first came across this type of kettle, it had an integral wind shield (ie a perforated skirt of metal) all around the base. No seperate base to lose or buckle, you just placed it over a small fire and fuelled as usual. Particularly handy when you already have a fire going, not so great if you don't want to light a fire on the ground (but then you can put a tray down first). My modern 5L stainless one has this feature too.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Cheers guys, I had a group and bust my usual 'over the fire kettle'... I was going to use this on the fire rather than trying to keep an eye on the main fire and a kettle fire...in the end we just used the kettles.

Cheers guys, Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE