Kelly OR stove or both together

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I've done a search and I don't think that this has been asked before...

When out and about do you take a Kelly kettle and a stove, or a kelly with attachments?

Your responses will affect my purchasing :)

Chris

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
A lot depends on how I'm going and what I need to carry.

If I'm camping with a car, or with a group of friends, then a 2pt kelly kettle is great as it provides constant cups of tea, and can be easy to set going, especially at places where fires can't really be had. the cooking attachments are useful here, but I generally just treat the base as a small stove and put whatever I'm cooking in on it (billy can etc).

However, if its just me out, on foot, then the extra weight and size of the kelly kettle and the lack of need for that much hot water, means that I tend to just use a billy can over a fire or stove. Saying that, I can get away with only a cup or 2 of tea a day, I know quite a lot of folk for whom 2 pints of hot water is a 1-man serving :lmao:

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
D'Oh!

Hmm, so it seems if one person going alone then just a stove will suffice but if more than one going take both.

Thanks all!

Chris

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
the extra weight and size of the kelly kettle and the lack of need for that much hot water, means that I tend to just use a billy can over a fire or stove. Saying that, I can get away with only a cup or 2 of tea a day, I know quite a lot of folk for whom 2 pints of hot water is a 1-man serving :lmao:

I am that man!
Bulk is tghe issue rather than weight.

Where I stick the hammock, there's often no really potable water, so I tend to carry in water.
That's usually a 2l Camelbak and 2 1L containers.
That adss a bit of weight to the pack.
Last time, my lad was being snippy. I let him carry a 10l container in.
Fit little git, though. No sign of effort at all.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Since I use the kelly to make my water safe to drink by boiling, I forgo a stove and use the kettle for cooking at the same time as boiling water.

The kelly isn't really bulky - I fill it with my survival kit and extra survival food, which I bring with me anyway.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I carry it if I'm car camping. it's handy to be able to boil water quickly.
If I'm carrying on my back, then it's left behind. all the kettle does is boil water. a billy can can cook and boil. they're just too bulky.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Instead of an expensive Kelly, have you thought about one of these?

SwissVolcanostove-open.jpg

It's a Swiss Volcano Flask and you can pick them up for around a fiver. The aly bottle can be corked to carry water and then used in the stove to boil water. The small pan also fits inside the chimney when being used and is plenty big enough for pasta for one!

I use mine virtually every week with hexy blocks but it works equally well with small twigs etc!

Interested? Follow the link (No connection to seller)

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/prod6.asp?prod_id=8401&id=194&sub_cat=534&grpid=8401&msg=&offset=

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I don't use the attachments, they're not worth it IMO. I use a large kelly kettle when fishing. When waiting for a bite, it's a fun distraction to light the fire, etc. :)
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE