Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Something I have thought of is that you must remember not to take the kettle of the fire when the water is boiled by grabbing the wooden handle, and instead picking it up with the metal side pieces of the handle. It is natural to use the wooden handle but sometimes there is still a flame coming out of the chimeny, and it's hot!

Regarding the accessories, I haven't got them but I have seen them and my conclusion was that you'd need pretty small sausages and mini rahsers of bacon if they were to fit in the pan. It's almost like trying to use a '58 mug. I suppose it depends on what you want to cook, but I enjoy a feast, even when out in the sticks.

Julian.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I've had the same issue with removing the kettle from the firestand - it's sometimes awkward to remove if the fire is still burning, and there's no way to extinguish the fire.

My other issue with my kettle (not a Kelly, but I can't remember the brand right now) is that it leaks... I though at first that it was leaking from the seams, but I think now that it's leaking from where the lifting arms attach to the body...

I haven't really had time to test this theory yet, but it defintely leaks from somewhere - I had filled the kettle for later heating and gone off to do something else. When I got back to start the brew, there was a big pool of water under the kettle. I was just glad I hadn't left it sitting on top of the firestand with all the dry fuel in it!

ODG

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
steven andrews said:
I really can't see the accessory kit being any good... and I've never heard of anyone using it.
Has anyone?

Used mine several times and been surprised how well it did. Done soup, rice and a reheated a curry in the pan supplied also did burgers and sausages on the grill wire. Never been let down by this piece of kit and keep it in the car for handy brews mainly.

Elliott

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Regarding taking it off the pan, like I said in my review once it's brought to a rolling boil what I do is stop adding fuel and in a couple of minutes the fire has burnt out. The large internal surface area retains the heat well and it's still boiling, then I take it off the pan and pour.

Julian, the pan is actually quite large I'm sure you could fit some good sized sausages and what not in the pots, remember that the accessory kit isn't available for the 1 pint version.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I carry mine in my car all the time, I think its the whole act of getting a brew on that makes it taste better, and to also cross threads i also offer a hot wet around.
When i got my kelly kettle the instructions said not to store water in it and that it may leak when cold for the first couple of uses while it sorts it's self out but to be honest i have had no problems.
Great bit of kit and fun too!!!
lou

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I persuaded my Mrs to demo the way of removing the kettle when you still have a hot fire going:

The kettle was empty for the demo, but you get the idea..

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Yes, it says that there may be a few small leaks but these will usually seal itself after use. If you are on the fence the I think you should go for it, they are great bits of kit. Perhaps you will want to see if anything comes from the 1 pint firepan deformation concern first though.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My one pint still leaks a bit when cold from the bottom seam. When it starts getting hot this seals right up.

As far as lifting the device, I grab the wooden handle and with my fingers hold the wire bail so that the handle is perpendicular to the kettle, then lift. Fire can be raging and my fingers do not go over the top.....only took me one time to learn this lesson well.

I frequently boil up a second kettle while I enjoy the first tea, so I only let the fire burn down to a point where long sticks are not poking up into the chimney. Lift, pour, refill, settle the firepan ashes, and return to the pan, add sticks and savor my tea while waiting for the second boil for my soup.

I have not bought the accessories for my large kettle, but I do not think I would use them much. The grate looks like it could be useful for grilling a sausage but I am not sure about the little pan.

I am working on a chimney modification that I learned about from a friend that may allow me to place a cup or small pot on top of the chimney for soup at the same time. If I get this to work I will post a picture. It feels pretty top heavy to me right now.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Steven, that is about how I lift mine. I only use one hand though with the other on the cork and chain.

Once you melt the hairs off your fingers this is a real easy thing to remember :lmao:

The other thing I learned the hard way was to not bend down and blow into the firepan holes if they are aligned directly with the spout...the little extra blast of heat and a full Kettle splash on your cheek is an eyeopener.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Schwert said:
The other thing I learned the hard way was to not bend down and blow into the firepan holes if they are aligned directly with the spout...the little extra blast of heat and a full Kettle splash on your cheek is an eyeopener.

:eek: I can imagine..ouch!

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Love my Kelly Kettle, the hairs grow back. I found the best way to lift the kettle off, is to tip it forward slighty with the handle, then use the chain to remove the kettle. My Mum found it very entertaining when I made her a coffee with the kettle.

I made my own grill using stainless steel welding rod, and silver soldering it together, works great.

Joules

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i e-mailed the kelly kettle company withmy suggestion about the steel burning pan.
to my surprise today i got an e-mail from Patrick Kelly himself.
now that's customer service. :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
he said,
"Hi Graham,

Thanks for your suggestion. We welcome any feedback that we can get on product improvements etc.

I have only recently (i.e. two weeks ago) taken over the Management of the Company and am currently only finding my feet – hence the delay in replying to your mail. For my sins, I was in Banking for the past ten years!!

I am keen to increase the exposure of the Kettles worldwide where we currently have satisfied customers who use the Kettles when Canoeing, Camping, Fishing, Trekking, off-roading etc. I was reared drinking tea from the Kettles and remain convinced that everyone involved in the outdoors should have one.

Out of curiosity, where did you come across our Kettle? I am currently gathering information so that I can up-date our website and am looking for Pictures and/or testimonials. I would be delighted if you would be willing to contribute in some way.

I’ll certainly give the Steel base some thought. I will be seeking to add some quality products to our product line over the next 6-12 months so all feedback is welcomed.

Thanks again for your mail and I look forward to hearing from you when you get a moment.

Kind regards,

Patrick Kelly "

seems like a nice chap.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
joules,

I will have to try the kettle tip and chain lift. This is probably easier on the large kettle too as you do not have to lift the whole mass on the lever arm of the bail. Good one.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ok, I think I have been sold on the idea, i'm going to buy one.

Can anybody tell who stocks them at a reasonable price?

Cheers
Nick

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
i e-mailed the kelly kettle company withmy suggestion about the steel burning pan.
to my surprise today i got an e-mail from Patrick Kelly himself.
now that's customer service. :D

ive seen you with these kettles!! you should stay well away from them, especially when you have meths at hand!! :lmao:
but honestly that was the 1st time id seen one first hand and theyre a great bit of kit so much so that after i came back from the last scottish meet i went and got myself one too!! i haven't tried the meths line of starting it yet though!! :D

regards
james

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE