Kelly kettle

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hiya guys, latley i have been thinking about ordering my self a kelly kettle/volcano kettle
what do you think of the idea
cheers for your help for info go to
www.kellykettle.com

Buy one! they really are pretty good. It depends on how you intend to carry it as to what size to get. I got a 2.5 one and it's great for brewing up for 3-4 folk but a bit bulky to cart around, not heavy, just takes up space.

Shop around though and even be prepared to haggle a bit, I got mine for £40 as opposed to £48. They work well on hexi blocks as well as anything else you can burn.

Best wishes
R.B.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I just got a ghillie kettle today, same idea but cheaper. There used to be a website but it's gone now. There's a good site here and it comes with some cooking kit as well. I got the 1.0L version which is enough for my family of 4 or my biiiig morning cuppas. I'll try and do a review at the weekend but I boiled up about 3 loads of water to clean it out in about 20 minutes. There's a guy on ebay selling them, I got mine for ~25squid with the cooking bits and pieces. I suspect he was something to do with the company that made them but I have no real idea. No links with supplier other than happy camper!

Cheers,

Alan

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have the smaller kettle, great for 2 or three cuppas. Light, stuffed with dry grass and twigs just now, ready for the next 'wander' I have been using it recently for having a cuppa Geocaching. Mainly use it for a cuppa canoeing or walking. Even in the garden with twigs after washing the car.

I have found the smaller the fire the better.

Nick

Geocaching the other day.

100_0924.jpg

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
I've got the smaller of the Eydon kettles. Quality is excellent and reputedly better than the Kelly. It's defintely better than the little Ghillie I have also recently got.

The base of the Ghillie doesn't fully insert into the base of the Ghilie when packing it down. This means the Eydon (which holds around twice as much water) is actually shorter when packed up (though fatter). The extra fatness of the Eydon also makes it more stable and means you can cook more with the cook kit. I get around 3.5 big mugs out of it.

Overall I'd recommend the Eydon. The quality of the Ghillie isn't bad, but it's genrally a little flimsier than the Eydon and the way the hole had been cut on mine left an uneven rim that made it difficult to pack the base in the the top until I had pressed it down here and there and smoothed things off. That really wasn't great. You do get a little nylon bag and whistle with the Ghillie though.

I'll do a more detailed write-up when I've had more time to play with the Ghillie. The Eydon has been very impressive so far, even working fine with damp sticks etc in rain and hail of late.

One final point: the Kelly has two holes in the base as opposed to only one on the Eydon and Ghillie. I can see this being an advantage overall both when lighting and for getting a good draught, but have no experience of this. It could make no practical difference or even be a disadvantage. Others comments could be helpful if they have used both types.
overall - bulk apart - they're great beasts. Take very little to learn how to use effectively and mean you need never run out of fuel again.

Cheers

Mike

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
I have a 2.5 kelly kettle that lives in the car ( i would not fancy carrying it, far too bulky) and i have to say i find it fantastic for a brew, 2 pints of tea and a flask full with a little left to wash up with every fill. You can get some funny looks using it in the motorway services tho!!!
cheers
lou

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've got a Ghillie Kettle and am really impressed with how quickly it boils water.

Because of it bulk I usually only use it for fixed, base type camping when I can take a few luxuries in the car.

DSC00348.jpg

Once you've got the hang of it it simple!

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE