Kelly Kettle wasp house

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I really dislike wasps and I'm afraid if it was me they'd have to go, although someone else would probably have to do the removing unless I could have some remote device :rolleyes:

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Robbie Roberson said:
I never spray honey bees, but wasp, yellow jackets and hornets I will spray. If you adjust the sprayer on a wide spray, it pretty much will cover them all even on very large nest.

Robbie Roberson. ;)

Hornets are actually really docile and will only attack of their nest is in immediate danger ( someone trying to destroy it, for instance). With a little bit of bravery and perhaps madness you can go and stand next to a hornets nest in relative safety, but please don't try it!! :eek: :eek: :aargh4:

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
The kettle is now in the allotment at the bottom of the garden, the fellow who owns it is a bit of an organic gardener and provided they stick to thier side of the deal and kill all the pests they can squat there til the end of the summer :)

Ian

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
Elma, a fantastic solution.

Wasps have a place in the natural order of things. If you kill them then something else lives that might eat some one's veg', and something else goes without a wasp for dinner. I'd have a small nest in the garden when growing things like cabbage.

But in the house? By the door? I think the natural order of things would have me asking them to leave. They could move themselves or I'd offer a ride to the waspy after life I'm afraid. And I'm a hippy (allegedly)!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Permetherin (not sure of spelling) is the powder now used by pest control, Cymag is now un obtainable (and lethal to all). You may find that the kettle becomes too small for a really active colony and they move on when they cannot expand the nest any more.
I like the almond essence idea and will remember to try that first before more lethal measures.
Swyn

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Beachlover, it was Elma who asked about the wasps nest, not Red ;)

A thought thats just passed through my mind....is an old wasps nest any use as tinder?

Tiffers

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
wasps nest in the house is bad news for me at least. many peeps are alergic to bee stings or wasp stings.

For me it's wasps, and a trip to A&E is a probability, depending on where I get stung. has'nt happened in ages, because i tend to respect the lil blighters outside. A nest indoors or around the house = eviction or worse.

[my mum is alergic to bee stings. no fun when your hubby was a beekeeper :( ]

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I had a little wasp’s nest in the work shop where I worked a while ago, I tried to
knock it down with a broom pole and the little buggers come out (only a few). Here’s the best bit, I took out all the Florissant lighting in the work shop with the broom and missed the nest. After I cleaned up I got an aerosol and a lighter and burned them all to hell.
I don’t like them at all. :AR15firin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE