Danger tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It's that time of year again when all the bird boxes need emptying out and cleaning. Most of mine are near houses which makes them easy to maintain but I've got a group of 6 in an area of woodland that have to be cleaned in situ. I try to pick a mild day to do it in case I have to evict any creatures that have taken up residence since the birds left.

This year I had a bit of a surprise as I removed the door off one box to find it full of a large wasp nest.

P1160850.jpg

I hadn't noticed any wasps going in or out but I was still a bit cautious removing the wooden platform inside. It turns out that the nest had either finished or had been raided by something after the grubs. The front was destroyed but the back was mostly intact and there were plenty of dead wasps inside.

P1160852.jpg

P1160853.jpg

and well I thought since I need to boil up some water to clean the box anyway I might as well use this nice free source of paper to get the fire going...

P1160871.jpg

P1160873.jpg

The best surprise though was the contents of the box below. The entrance hole has been adapted with liberally pasted mud on the inside to make more of a tunnel which has to be the work of a nuthatch, the first I've ever had nesting in my boxes. :biggrin:

P1160834.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What do you suppose got into that wasp nest? With the first wet snows of winter these days, it's our shrews
that clean out the wasp nests but they leave the paperwork absolutely intact.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm not sure. The box is hung four metres up a large oak tree but I still find wood mice in there now and then. I'm suspecting birds though given how it was shredded so much. A small woodpecker could probably reach that far in but if the nest was finished then it might just have been a small bird looking for left over grubs. The wasp nest in the eaves of the house is still going strong though so this one may have been attacked and abandoned. Luckily for me it was anyway.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent to see :) Thank you for sharing so well.
Himself and I have both just commented that we'd seen a wasp today. So late on in the year is really surprising for us. We've had several frosty days, and it's sodden wet and cold.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
This was the same box back when I checked it in spring 2016. I was really impressed that mice found a home that high up a tree and they'd even dragged all those leaves in there. It was still cold at the time so I left them in there but they left the box in a real mess by the time I evicted them in spring.

01-08-16.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve had one come in the car window today. Not only did it have me flapping but any flying insect sends Mimi the Jack Russell around the twist, so she’s leaping about in the back, barking madly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE