Kelly Kettle Q & A thread

Mang

Settler
Did a search for kelly kettles but I ain't lookin' through nearly 300 threads!

Firstly, when the water is boiling and you've poured it, is there a nack to stopping half burned wood falling all over the place like a pyro jack straws? I found it a bit dangerous the last time I used it as they fell across the rim of the burner bit at the bottom and I had a job getting the top bit back on to brew some more.

Maybe someone has made a bespoke base which lifts the whole lot...?

Also, I'm interested in getting one of the little stands that fits in the top for warming stuff in a billy. I have the smaller KK so if I got one do I simply have to keep pouring a bit of water into the chamber as it escapes as steam, or is it designed to warm as for as long as it takes the water to boil?

Eyethangyoh!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi Mang,
If you break up the fuel into smaller pieces (about three to four inches in length) they wont fall about when you lift the kettle.The idea behind the kettle is to keep topping up the fuel and not to fill it and leave it to burn.
When using the pot stand you must keep the kettle at least half full of water otherwise it will boil dry and damage the kettle which will cause leak,I have both sizes and use the pot stand on both,thet are top heavy with a pot on but if you did a small pit thats big enough to sit the kettle on you can do away with the firebowl and it is a little more stable.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've yet to find a way to stop half burned wood falling all over the place, other than to feed the Kelly by hand slowly so there isn't a lot of excess fuel being used. You could also try using smaller and thinner pieces so it burns faster and leaves less to fall about.

I don't think you're supposed to let the kettle boil dry as that might warp the metal, so I too am curious how the chimney top pot stand works in practical application. I suspect the grill that fits on the base would be more useful.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Kelly Kettles.
I've got a few, (and even organized a group buy for them a couple of years ago).
Keeping the fuel in;
I've heard of (but never seen) people making a cone out of wire mesh.
I don't rate the stand for cooking on top of the KK. It makes for a very unstable stove.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The pot stands I have fit over the base and then it works like a mini fire bowl.
Just realised that there's *another* pot stand that I don't have/ use. Tbh, I'm dubious about this one; topple seems built in I reckon. Besides, the kettle boils so quickly anyway, just pour some of the hot water into the food and then put that pot onto the stable base.

I find the tinder stuff drops out into the firebase when I lift the kettle, but I'm inclined to use small sticks and light them in the base and let the chimney draw the heat upwards to boil the water. If I have to add more fuel, I lift the kettle and put it below it.

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I just use wee short bits in my kettle (or pine cones) the water chamber is really thin at the bottom so it heats the water there really quickly and it then gets convected away. I'm not convinced you really need a volcano spouting out the top (although it is good for toasting mallows while you're waiting :rolleyes: ) Open topped cone out of mesh sounds a good idea though.... :cool:

Cheers,

Alan

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I haven't had any trouble with bits of wood falling out when I remove the kettle - but I tend to use fairly short pieces of stick, and it's interesting to see how little you can get away with to get the kettle to boil.

As others have said, I'd be a bit wary of using one of the mounts that goes on top of the kettle due to stability, but I got myself a grid that sits in the base of the unit so that once the kettle has boiled, I can use the embers to heat up a small meal. I wouldn't want to cook on that all the time, but it does well enough. You may well be able to make up a little grid yourself.

If you have a look at the most recent posting in this thread (post no 8) you'll see some pictures: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23685

Geoff

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
guys the pot stand that sits on the top of the klettle is very stable and also the pot that come with it is dead usefull and also in regard to the fuel falling all over the placew when you pull kettle of base you just use smaller stuff and also build it like you would a fire i.e in a tipi stile standing of twigs or sticks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE