Kellam Wildfinn Puukko and a Fire Stick?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
After a very quick turn abound from Woodland Organics :You_Rock_ (they posted it off the day after Kellam sent it to them, they must have only had it at most a couple of hours) I got my new Kellam Wildfinn Puukko in my pigeon hole at work yesterday. I don't know what Kellam have done to the blade as it look like chrome plate and is that smooth that there is not a 'cat in hells' chance it cast a spark from my Fire Stick. Has anybody had any success fileing/grinding the back to cast a spark?

Thanks.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi Chris,

Not done one of those, but I had the same problem with a Chris Reeve Sebenza. I ground the spine square with excellent results.
see:

regrind1.jpg

Is the blade carbon or stainbless? If the blade is fully tempered, you'll find it hard going with a file, as it'll just skate off the spine. If the spine is soft (diferentially tempered carbon blade), you may be OK with a file. Though the easiest and cleanest method would be with a grinder. Either a belt grinder or a small bench grinder would do fine. Just be sure to tape up the cutting edge of the blade with lots of masking tape, you'll be glad you took the time if the blade *kicks* on contact with the grinder. Also be careful about overheating the blade and ruining the temper. If it's too hot to touch with your fingers, it's too hot! Keep a bucket of water handy and dip the blade frequently to keep it cool. Obviously, dry it off immediately after and oil it.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi Martryn,

It hi carbon and not diff. tempered but I have not not seen one like this before as it litrally shines like chorme. My experience with hi c blade are like opinel and 'rustic' frence work knifes and none of them are like this and look like 'steel'.

Since I do not have anywhere to put a grinder it looks I will be using that silly little stricker that comes with fire stick or still cary my opi.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Chris,

The back of a short length of broken hack-saw blade works well on the fire steel.
You can use an abrasive stone by hand to put a square edge on the back of your knife, such as your sharpening stone. It will take time but if you take your time and work steadily the result should be what you're after.

Dave

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The Kellam Wildfinn puukkos are not Chrome plated they are just highly polished (its the only way they could get the americans to buy them :-D they like um shiny)

as soon as you sharpen it you'll remove the polished look

take a hand file square off the spine a little and it will strike

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
diabolik said:
The Kellam Wildfinn puukkos are not Chrome plated they are just highly polished (its the only way they could get the americans to buy them :-D they like um shiny)

Thanks Diabolik,

I know its not chromed as it would just chip off but it was the best description I could come up with it describe just how highly polished it was.

Those American don't know what they are missing there is something about the matt sheen of a HC blade, my opi is practically black!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Not done one of those, but I had the same problem with a Chris Reeve Sebenza. I ground the spine square with excellent results.
see:

Man that is just TOO PAINFUL to see. :shock: Grinding the spine on a sebenza square. Ouch! Man I love the rounded spine on my sebenza! Before I grind my $300 spebenza, I'll just settle for using a broken piece of hacksaw blade, eh? You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din...

Ouch!!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's my why not or maybe it's just a whine not. :-D There are lots of folders out there that will do the job for mucho less dough and give you all the performance and maybe even more than a sebbie--for a lot less bucks. Examples: Benchmade Griptilian, 710, and 721. Personally I don't think there's a lock out there that can beat the axis lock so as much as I love my sebbie, if I want to do radical mods on a knife, I'd choose one that costs much less for the same kind of performance. But I do realize that what you pay for a sebbie is chump change to a lot of guys so in that case, I say Have At 'Er!! :-D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just read your reply Hoodoo - a little late of the mark here :)

But yeah, I'd agree with you, there are many good knives out there. As a matter of fact, I own a griptillian too and would 100% agree regarding the axis lock. I'd bet the knife would break before the lock would fail - superb. There was an old thread...
yup...
http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=36&highlight=benchmade

pretty much agree's with your comments. But still, I say knives are tools. I bought the seb as a tool, not a drawer queen. It didn't do what I wanted it to, so I modified it. It's fine now. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE