Kellam, Kainnuun puukko, Fox liner lock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Anonymous

Hello, all

If any of you run into the Kellam people at a show, could you ask a few questions for me please?
1.Is the same as Kellam knife company of Florida, USA?
2. Does the Kellam company belong to the Kaninuun comapny from Finland?
3. Are the Kellam liner locks manufactured by Fox, in Italy?

I have one of these Fox knives, that my wife bought me about four years ago, in the South of France (there's a not very interesting story in that)... It's stood up well, for 440!

Here are two pics of mine:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/klrhodes/images/Fox_liner-lock/dsc00011.jpg
http://perso.club-internet.fr/klrhodes/images/Fox_liner-lock/dsc00012.jpg

next to two Kellam knives:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/klrhodes/images/Fox_liner-lock/Kellam_and_Fox.jpg

Keith.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Hi
I got chatting (as did many others) to them at the Wilderness Weekend and got their business card. The guy's name is Stuart ( be respectful, he showed a talent for axe throwing on Sunday!) Their phone number is 01446 719957 and email address is info@kellamknives.co.uk.

Cheers

Justin

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Justin Time said:
Hi
I got chatting (as did many others) to them at the Wilderness Weekend and got their business card. The guy's name is Stuart ( be respectful, he showed a talent for axe throwing on Sunday!) Their phone number is 01446 719957 and email address is info@kellamknives.co.uk.

Cheers

Justin

Thanks, I'll be writing to him today.
(I forgot to log in when I posted my question...)

Keith.

A

Anonymous

hello Keith

1.Is the Kellam UK the same as Kellam knife company of
Florida, USA?

A :yes kellam UK is the same knife company as kellam USA. We have only just set up its a bit like a franchise in a way, we were a group of people who owned kellam puukkos who decided that we wanted to sell them here in the UK. :-D

2. Does the Kellam company belong to the Kaninuun
company from Finland?

A: kellam owns kaniuun puukko we bought it about 9 years ago. :shock:

3. Are the Kellam liner locks manufactured by Fox, in
Italy?

A: ok a bit more complicated this one, all of the puukkos we sell are made in forges in Finland. the folding knifes however are different, Finland has no tradition of making folding knives so we use companies all over the world mainly Germany, Italy and Japan. the FOX company has around 17 different independent factories which build different parts of their folding knives. one of these companies also builds the handles for our voyager folding knife. so the answer would be that no the liners are not made by fox, but by the same people who make the liners for fox.

Also many of the puukkos that are made by kellam do not bare the kellam logo, this is due to a tradition in Finland that the puukko bear the initials of the blacksmith who hammered out and finished the blade and not the name of the forge or the company whom the forge belongs to, a tradition we have decided to keep.

I hope that helps

Stuart :biggthump

A

Anonymous

Stuart said:
hello Keith

1.Is the Kellam UK the same as Kellam knife company of
Florida, USA?

A :yes kellam UK is the same knife company as kellam USA. We have only just set up its a bit like a franchise in a way, we were a group of people who owned kellam puukkos who decided that we wanted to sell them here in the UK. :-D

2. Does the Kellam company belong to the Kaninuun
company from Finland?

A: kellam owns kaniuun puukko we bought it about 9 years ago. :shock:

3. Are the Kellam liner locks manufactured by Fox, in
Italy?

A: ok a bit more complicated this one, all of the puukkos we sell are made entirely by the same forges in Finland. the folding knifes however are different, Finland has no tradition of making folding knives so we use companies all over the world mainly Germany, Italy and Japan. the FOX company has around 17 different independent factories which build different parts of their folding knives. one of these companies also builds the handles for our voyager folding knife. so the answer would be that no the liners are not made by fox, but by the same people who make the liners for fox.

Also many of the puukkos that are made by kellam do not bare the kellam logo, this is due to a tradition in Finland that the puukko bear the initials of the blacksmith who hammered out and finished the blade and not the name of the forge or the company whom the forge belongs to, a tradition we have decided to keep.

I hope that helps

Stuart :biggthump

Thankyou very much for that informative answer. Especially the part about Fox.

As for the puukko blades, I have a puukko myself, blade by Sompio, finished by Mauri Pöyliö, and I've since bought some Kankaanpää blades that I'll (hopefully) finish up soon. Then I can think about learning tuupi making!

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE