Keeping Spoons in the Freezer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've kept wood for carving in the freezer so it wouldn't dry out but never something finished like what you're talking about.
It would probably be strong enough unless it's really fragile but I doubt that's the case since it's a scoop.
As long as the ice is not all frozen together (use something to break it up first) then I can't see a problem.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have taken over the garage with various bits of wood and kit as it is; I think it could be marital suicide to fill the freezer up as well!

Good topic though, I wouldn't have thought of doing that.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The only way i could see that this wouldn't work is if the spoon was not well seasopned, as the water m,ight freeze, expand and split the wood. A seasoned spoon should be fine.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Yep it expands when frozen same as when we get big cracks and pot holes in the road when it's freezing, so I'd say no to in seasoned wood, but I'd think if its 100% dry it will be ok as long as its not subject to long changes in temperature

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Even when seasoned I'm pretty sure wood isn't 100%dry having said that my wife keeps her beechwood rolling pin in the freezer all the time with no ill effects apparently it helps when rolling out pastry !!
Hope this helps
Gary

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just a thought.

Freezing also dries things out over time so a seasoned scoop would only get drier in the freezer. However it will pick up, moisture while you're using it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE