keeping pots clean

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I know some people prefer their pots to be black so this tip is for those who don't.
Before using your pot over an open fire make up a paste of water and washing powder then smear this over your pot.When you wash the pot the soot and tar comes away with the paste.
I think this is best for a trip where you are in a base camp for a couple of days ,such as a regional meet or a moot.It's probably a bit too much to carry if out on a solo trek.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
cheers sapper mate that's one of the facts worth remembering, because even if someone likes their bots a littlewashing up!! charge.....no one enjoys

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
As a kid I always used to use a paste made from washing up liquid and vim that way you already had the abrasive and at a push you could even just use a dish cloth.

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
We always used a paste made up from washing powder on the outside of our pots at camp when I was a little girl guide. One time I thought I'd be clever and pre mix the powder and water, I put it in an old jar with a lid and took it to camp in our box with all the cooking stuff, to save time. When we opened up our box the jar had exploded - (the mixture had apparently expanded) I think it must have popped it's lid but it was a long time ago so can't remember exactly BUT I do remember the terrible mess - everything was covered in washing powder paste. I now tell my Guides to use washing up liquid (quicker and works fine)

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Ifin I'm campin' next t' a stream...I just rubs the pots wi' the sandy grit from the bankside, then wash off.......Ifin I'm gonna be campin' in the country/woods I takes half o' a normal kitchen scourer (the ones wi' sponge on the one side an' an abrasive green side)..been workin' fine so far.:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I try to clean my pots in the field, the kitchen fairies tend to get upset...so I leave them black until I get home, put them by the sink and by the time I have unpacked, tidied up, had a whiskey and a look at the site - tarrah - my pots are miraculously clean!
God bless the kitchen fairies!
:)
In all seroiusness - whichever method you use "in the field", gravel, Vim, washing up liquid etc, can we all be very careful not to polute the stream for the poor beggars who get their drinking water from downstream?
And of course protect the habitat of the lickel crawlies and swimmy things that live in the stream.....
I understand that doing the washing up with soaps should be done at least 100m from the stream, to allow the soaps to be filtered out through the grass/soil and keep the stream pure.

Mind you, if you go 100m from a water course in Wales you have crossed 2 more streams swamps or flowing gutters!:rolleyes:

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
''Quote''
''In all seroiusness - whichever method you use "in the field", gravel, Vim, washing up liquid etc, can we all be very careful not to polute the stream for the poor beggars who get their drinking water from downstream?
And of course protect the habitat of the lickel crawlies and swimmy things that live in the stream.....
I understand that doing the washing up with soaps should be done at least 100m from the stream, to allow the soaps to be filtered out through the grass/soil and keep the stream pure.''

I don't use soaps fer that very reason John ....a good point well made.:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
i find the natural abrasive action of the mutts tongues work unbelievably well and it leaves a natural film of antiseptic :dunno:

I know your cooking leaves the pots black inside and out...but I thought you could only force the dog to clean the inside, wheras the thread is about cleaning the outside.....:D

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I like my pots black and prefer to give them a light rub over with scotchbrite when I get home,I just thought I would pass on a tip that I had heard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE