Keela Falkland Country Jacket - Single Layer Ventile (lots of pics!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Firstly, apologies for the photos and picture heavy thread.

I am 6'8" tall hence the XXL size. The length on this one is mid thigh and has plenty of material under my backside if I want to sit down in the coat.

This coat has 2 front bellows pockets (I usually have a thinsulate hat one side & gloves in the other), behind those pockets are zipped fleece lined pockets (handwarmers). These handwarmer pockets make quite a difference when its cold out and the gloves are at home!

The coat has two smaller pockets on the chest, each with a short tag inside with a male press stud on - no idea what its for though! I personally don't use these pockets as they're a bit high on the chest, and I must admit are a little narrow for comfortably getting my hands inside. OK for storing small items though.

Then under the storm flap (LH side) is a very generous zipped map pocket. Inside the jacket are two additional pockets. The one inside the left side of the jacket appears to be a "poachers" style pocket, and is spacious enough for an OS map, and is secured with a velcro fastening. At the rear of the jacket is a zip to open the inside of the jacket. This appears to have no real function though, as the area is open to the whole inner jacket.

The jacket features Keela's ADS Micro Laminate as the inner layer, which works in a similar way to more familiar Gore-tex. This is a breathable layer, and I believe is also waterproof should water get through the single layer Ventile.

The jacket also has the ability to zip a fleece or similar thermal layer inside for extra warmth and comfort. I have worn this comfortably with a micro fleece base layer, when in single figure temperatures, although I was active at the time. If you're planning to be stationary then an additional layer will be needed.

It features a shockcorded hem with cordlocks each side, a waist shockcord with cord locks inside the storm flap.

The hood has a volume adjuster, is stiffened/wired and is removable via press studs.

The sleeve cuffs are adjustable via press studs, and have three each side. I set mine on the middle one and it is about right. Velcro would have been more user friendly for adjustment though.

I got this one for an absolute steal on auravita. These are still available on their website, but a little more expensive than when I got mine ( but it's still way under 200 notes!).

I've yet to wear it in some seriously horrible weather, although have worn it a bit during the snowy periods this year and last. Not subjected it to any heavy rain yet. I also own a Keela Munro which is more of an Expedition jacket. I can review that too if anyone's interested?
Let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this mini review. Any questions please feel free to ask.

For more details take a look at: http://www.keela.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_78&products_id=226

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The coat has two smaller pockets on the chest, each with a short tag inside with a male press stud on - no idea what its for though! I personally don't use these pockets as they're a bit high on the chest, and I must admit are a little narrow for comfortably getting my hands inside. OK for storing small items though.

They hold open the bellows pockets to make it easier for you to access your cartridges in a driven shoot. I snipped them off mine because they were just a little annoying.

It is a top coat and will keep out most vile weather. The best thing is that, for a Ventile jacket, it is pretty reasonable and very well made.

I hope you enjoy it! :D

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Cheers for the information about keeping the pockets open. Someone else came up with the same solution over on British Blades.
It really is a top jacket considering the price, and I've found that if water does get through the ventile, that the liner is hydrophillic and keeps it out, and moisture wicks through from the inside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE