Kayaks, Swamps, and Crawdads

Jan 12, 2009
Arkansas, USA
My nephew and I decided to drop a few test traps in the Sulfur River backwater near Mercer Bayou. It is still just a bit early for the areas early summer "crawdad explosion", but we had to take a shot at it. Loaded the yaks, strapped on the traps, hosed on the Deet, and plunged into the stifling cypress gloom. The skeeters were fierce as usual, but the biggest problem was the fire ants. We have had lots of flooding, and now the trees are just dripping with the pests. Anyway, we set 5 traps of various descriptions, at different depths and ran them this evening, about a 24 hr. soak. Total haul, (drum roll please) 7, yes, 7 crawdads from 5 traps. As I said, it is early yet. End of June last year we loaded 3 ice chests just pulling 'em with poles and salt pork. I think maybe all the rain and flooding has slowed them down some. Nevertheless, here are some shots of the activities, and even a knife pic in the mix to legitimize the post.

On the bank, ready to go:
SmithPark001.jpg

Some shots of the scenery:
SmithPark002.jpg

SmithPark003.jpg

SmithPark004.jpg

A nice little Locust tree, just a tiny bit thorny:
SmithPark014.jpg

SmithPark015.jpg

SmithPark013.jpg

And, lastly some crawdad pics:
SmithPark008.jpg

SmithPark006.jpg

SmithPark007.jpg

Beckerhead

Jan 12, 2009
Arkansas, USA
Nice trip!
How do you like to cook your crayfish?

We use Louisiana brand crawfish/crab boil mix, add some cob corn, and smallish red potatoes, boil hard about 5-8 minutes, then off the heat and leave soaking in the mix for about another 15-20 minutes to let the flavors really seep in nicely. Dump 'em in a big foil pan, or on a newspaper covered picnic table, and eat, eat, eat.

you can also make some dandy pasta dishes, as well as gumbo.

Beckerhead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE