Kayak help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 23, 2016
England
After abit of advice please Guys, me and a mate switched from our 2 man inflatable sevylor yukon canoe to 2 old kayaks ive refurbed, there around 20 odd year old fibre glass kayaks and there pretty long aswell, but we found as soon as we tried to come back against the current today on the river we struggled to hold a straight line. As soon as we got any speed we tended to veer to the left most of the time. Now we are both right handed and wondered if it was something in the way we paddled with a double paddle rather than our old single paddle. we tried to check we were each sitting straight and not leaning to one side or something. Im sure theres probaly something on Youtube but you cant beat chatting to an ol' boy with abit of experience

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
If you were both veering in the same direction it could have been the effects of wind on the boats. There are lot's of reasons for the boats veering off course, but I reckon in this instance the most likely was wind blowing on the left side of the boats pushing the stern round.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It could be your balance or posture in the boat, or your paddling technique. When I took up kayaking it took me months to get so the boat ran straight, and that was on nice slow rivers in Cambridgeshire. If you can find a local club you might find a couple of hours coaching works wonders.

Dave

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Almost certainly a combination of trim, wind and current.

If your kayaks were tad down by the stern, you'd really struggle to keep them straight, and it is natural to veer off to your weaker side. Keeping straight just comes with practise, and you get the hang of leaning the kayak slightly to compensate for a stronger stroke on one side than the other.

If you can lean forward a bit to get the bow down a tad lower than the stern, you'll find the kayak tends to stay pointed into the current.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
When your paddling, are you just using your arms? The best technique is to rotate your trunk reaching for the next stroke. When you apply pressure, push on the foot plate or pegs with the opposite foot I.e. paddle stroke on the right, as you rotate back the way, push with your left foot. You will get a lot more power and one you get used to the foot pressure thing, you will get the knack of keeping the boat straight without corrective paddle strokes.

If the winds a factor, try edging the boat slightly (more weight on one side so the boat lifts on the other). Boat will always try to turn to the high side. You can use this to counteract wing effect.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE