katadyn pocket water filter

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
H I just received a katadyn pocket water filter, and just wonering if its supposed to make a slight rattly noise when shaken a little bit.
Thanks
Adam

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Open it up and you will see a small ball baring on the bottom dont know what it is ,or does but thats the rattly noise your hearing

Ps great bit of kit i have had mine for 3 or 4 years now and its never let me down and its been used lots

Jason

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Ah ok lol, just though being ceramic and delivered via usps ill see if it rattled, and it did, thought ill check with the forum here.

Just waiting on the steripen adventurer opti and the katadyn carbon filtures.
then in couple weeks I can choose me a waterbottle and sheath, noticed the maxpedition company have pouches that suite the nalgene bottles?.. might opt for one of them, as the steripen fits the large mouth,

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Ah ok lol, just though being ceramic and delivered via usps ill see if it rattled, and it did, thought ill check with the forum here.

Just waiting on the steripen adventurer opti and the katadyn carbon filtures.
then in couple weeks I can choose me a waterbottle and sheath, noticed the maxpedition company have pouches that suite the nalgene bottles?.. might opt for one of them, as the steripen fits the large mouth,

Ouch someone won the lottery? Good choice of kit matey.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Ouch someone won the lottery? Good choice of kit matey.

£192 for the katadyn pocket on amazon, sold directly from amazon. I just buy a couple things per month. But had to pay out for sonething such as the katadyn pocket for my 2500-3000 mile trek. Had to get a long lasting kit, and the adventurer opti is fit for like 8,000 uses and comes with solar charger. The katadyn carbon filtres are disposable though, but lightweigh.

From reveiws the katadyn was made out to be heavy, doesnt seem heavy at all, weighs similar to my lmf ii knife

Prefer to boil the water so this method of purifications more for back up and lkazyness, love a brew

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
£192 well spent i say ,,,can i ask where your going on your trek,,i only ask because walking is my favourite past time and i am really wanting to go and do the appalachian trail

Jason

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I was planning coastal of the uk which is apparently 2500 miles. But I want to add on penine way and hadrians wall path so I think ill figure of eight the uk getting in the majority of the national trails which will be maybe 3000 miles in total, and ill be able to skip major citys like essex etc.

In my head it sounds a plan

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
£192 for the katadyn pocket on amazon, sold directly from amazon. I just buy a couple things per month. But had to pay out for sonething such as the katadyn pocket for my 2500-3000 mile trek. Had to get a long lasting kit, and the adventurer opti is fit for like 8,000 uses and comes with solar charger. The katadyn carbon filtres are disposable though, but lightweigh.

From reveiws the katadyn was made out to be heavy, doesnt seem heavy at all, weighs similar to my lmf ii knife

Prefer to boil the water so this method of purifications more for back up and lkazyness, love a brew

It is good kit I've got one too. If like me you end up having to re pack and re pack your ruck' due to weight issues you may perhaps at some future point find that it is rather heavy for a filter. But it's an important piece of gear so I like you went for dependable and durable.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I was planning coastal of the uk which is apparently 2500 miles. But I want to add on penine way and hadrians wall path so I think ill figure of eight the uk getting in the majority of the national trails which will be maybe 3000 miles in total, and ill be able to skip major citys like essex etc.

In my head it sounds a plan

Now that sounds like a great trip,,,, do you plan to camp most of it ?
Whats you time scale ?

Jason

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Now that sounds like a great trip,,,, do you plan to camp most of it ?
Whats you time scale ?

Jason

80 days would be fine, yeah im hoping to tarp alot of it, hence trying to avoid major citys, but im guessing a few campsites for ultimate relaxation and police will move me on undoubtedly on occasion during

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
80 days would be fine, yeah im hoping to tarp alot of it, hence trying to avoid major citys, but im guessing a few campsites for ultimate relaxation and police will move me on undoubtedly on occasion during

2500 miles in 80 days thats over 30 miles a day,,, have you done mileage like that before and remember your doing it day after day

Jason

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
No, ive not done that sort of milage before, will I suffer badly, I usually walk 15. Miles just to go to the shops and carry bags back etc, which is where I assumed ill manage, previously I thought ill do 10 miles a day, but then wondered what ill do for the other 13 hours of the day.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
No, ive not done that sort of milage before, will I suffer badly, I usually walk 15. Miles just to go to the shops and carry bags back etc, which is where I assumed ill manage, previously I thought ill do 10 miles a day, but then wondered what ill do for the other 13 hours of the day.

If you are going to do big miles a day i would advise you to look at goig ultra light ,it makes a big difference and it will make doing the big miles so much better ,,,once you start going ultra light you will not look back ,,,here is a good book to get on the subject http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultralight-...3841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343158182&sr=8-1
One thing i would say is i think you need to have a rethink on your time scale

Jason

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Im hoping to find some nice places to stay at for more than one night during, im guessing most likely north scotland and some of the coast around the south west and the penines. But obviously with the uk being so over crowded ill have to keep moving as much as possible to stay out of the harm of emotional humans. Dont want groups of youths and rodent looking people following me about, probably bve fine in any of country, even the war torn congo I could happily camp camo in the dense jungle, but here in the uk, keeping lows going to be a tough one, so keeping on moving will be my means of not getting cut, mugged, raped etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE