Karrimor SF Delta 35. Any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I'm currently using an old Karrimor 25L rucksack but it's coming to its end and I quite like the look of the Delta 35. Has anyone experience of it as a sack? If so, why did you pick it over the Sabre which seems to be tried and tested.

I like the look of the Delta as I don't really need MOLLE and prefer the expandable side mesh pockets that one gets with the Sabre. Any help or alternatives for a 35L or around that volume are welcome.

http://www.karrimorsf.com/day-pack-s-products/item/7-delta-35.html

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using the Delta 25L for my day pack for the last few years, it holds all I need for bushy days out or basic over nighters.

Usual SF quality with good fabrics and design.

I bought the Hydro and Delta 25 from Lurch when he had his floods a few years ago, I kept the Delta and got rid of the Hydro eventually.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've been using the Delta 25L for my day pack for the last few years, it holds all I need for bushy days out or basic over nighters.

Usual SF quality with good fabrics and design.

I bought the Hydro and Delta 25 from Lurch when he had his floods a few years ago, I kept the Delta and got rid of the Hydro eventually.

Same as Rich, i've got the 25, & use it as my "posh" pack. My favourite though is the 30ltr, that has taken so much abuse over the years, i've replaced it twice, with a highlander 44 & a berghaus centurio, but still take the 30 out with me. I realy should stop being tight & buy a new 30.

Rob

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I've got a Delta 25 daypack, Sabre 45 three-days-out and a Sabre 80-130 which I bought to do Hadrian's Wall. All are absolutely superb in my opinion, I can't fault the materials, construction, design or comfort in any way.

In your position I'd probably go for the Sabre 35 as I'd prefer the larger, zip-up side pockets to the smaller mesh ones. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've no experience of the delta 35, but I do have some experience of that general design and the weakness is the top zip. That allows water in if it rains and all zips are prone to jamming.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Well it looks like I'm about to find out. It's no longer on my Amazon wish list which suggests my dad has bought it for me. A trip to Cornwall for a long weekend of horse riding and hiking on Dartmoor will be a great introduction to the pack. Cannot wait. New kit: hell yeah!

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
So I visited my father down in Saltash this weekend and he very kindly spoilt me rotten and bought me for my birthday/Christmas a Small Forest Axe, a Laplander folding saw and the Karrimor SF Delta. Although he accidentally ordered the 25 litre instead of the 35 litre. I was slightly miffed about this (traumatic childhood memories of non-designer brand clothing, ZX81 when friends got Spectrums etc) but relented when I saw the 25 litres stated seemed less than the actual volume of the bag which is cavernous. I already own a Lowe Alpine Sting which is 45 Litres if you just use the main sack so this size will complement it.

We went hiking for the afternoon in south Dartmoor and raced to the top of Penn Beacon in mild drizzle. The bag felt snug and secure and very comfortable on my back. I noticed the water beading off the material. Everything seemed well finished and the bag has a bombproof feel to it which suggests it will last a long time.

I know there isn't a lid on this bag which may put some people off because of water ingress but I will be using it as my everyday sack riding to and from work, collecting groceries and carrying sports gear, so a simple zip that opens up a big mouth will increase the ease of use. If I am worried about water I will use a dry bag inside.

First impressions suggest this will be an ideal everyday rucksack tackling a range of activities safe in the knowledge it is sturdy enough to cope.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hi Shewie,

It does seem positively cavernous compared at a regular 25L cheap Karrimor I have. It has a proper floor (base) so when packed correctly it will stand up without falling over which I like.

A thing I dislike about it:

The mesh side pockets, while voluminous, cut away to a low point near the hip belt which means any item like a water bottle is more prone to fall out if you take a tumble. I think it's this shape so the wearer can access kit on the move, but the mesh isn't particularly elasticated to keep things in. The side mesh either needs to be different shape or have stronger elastic.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't really use the mesh pockets much, I just drop a Laplander in there sometimes, the sheath fits snugly so it doesn't fall out. The hidden pockets on the front are a bit more secure for loose items.

The wide bottom in the pack takes a small Kelly Kettle nicely, that then leaves loads of room for tinder, food, brew kit, book, binos, camera, waterproof etc etc. I slip a folding sit mat in the back pocket.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just above the mesh pocket, is a tab with elasticated cord threaded through it, this will hold in place conventional style bottles, but yes the mesh does need to come slightly higher.
I commutted by on a bicycle for a long time & used a jack wolfskin bag of the same style & size(ie 25 l)but the karrimor holds a lot more gear. I also have again a "blacks" make in the same style & size but not as big as the karrimor.

Rob

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Just above the mesh pocket, is a tab with elasticated cord threaded through it, this will hold in place conventional style bottles, but yes the mesh does need to come slightly higher.
I commutted by on a bicycle for a long time & used a jack wolfskin bag of the same style & size(ie 25 l)but the karrimor holds a lot more gear. I also have again a "blacks" make in the same style & size but not as big as the karrimor.

Rob

I did wonder what that tab was for. I thought it may have been for walking poles but it makes sense. Maybe Karrimor SF thought the majority of the hydration needs would be met by the camel back style facility offered by the big pouch inside the main body of the sack. I will mess around with the mesh pockets and see how durable and secure they are. I don't want to criticise too early in my ownership of what seems generally to be a great pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE