Karrimor Sabre 75????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaun1209

Feb 17, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello All...

For many many months I have been scoping out packs and no matter what I come across I always seem to end up drooling over the Sabre 75. I checked out the Sabre 60-100 ltr too but it seems too big for my needs.

Being that i'm in the US its hard for me to just run to the nearest store and check the 75 out for there are VERY few dealers in this neck of the woods (Southern California). I'm curious to see if anyone owns this pack and if they do what their thoughts are on it.

I'm definitely looking for something that is built like a tank, olive in color, plenty of places to tie things to the pack and a fair amount of neat pockets to stuff things I dont need. I know the sabre doesnt have much more than the main compartment and a pocket in the front that could hold an axe? I'm willing to sacrafice the amount of compartments for something I know will last many years.

I've read the review on BCUK about the Sabre 75 but I would like to get more opinions about it. Even more than that I would absolutely LOVE the idea of seeing some pics of the sabre 75 in action. Maybe packed and unpacked or so.

I'm still open to other healthy suggestions on a pack that shares similar characteristics but smack me for I keep craving the sabre. Everything I've read about it thus far on here makes me think its a good choice but I need a bit of confirmation for its not a cheap piece of kit by anymeans.....but if the world ended tomorrow I'd want to make sure my boots (danner) and my rucksackwould last long enough for me to hike down a beautiful girl to go camping with....:lmao:

Cheers and thank you all for BCUK....this is by far one of my favorite sites on the web. :You_Rock_

WilliamEd

Sep 3, 2007
Yorkshire
Hi, I cannot praise the Karrimor SF range enough. I used to own the 75 but found it too big for my needs so downsized to a 45 with sidepouches.I tried the Berghaus Cyclops when making my original choice but found the Sabre a better fit for me. I also use a Sabre 30 for daytrips.

The only problem I have read about is that some people state that if you are over 6'2" the 75 will become a little small on the back fitment and thats when the 60-100 or the 80-130 comes into play.

However I am 6'5" and have never found any problems with the fitting of mine. I did not like the 60-100 as I am not a fan of having zipped compartments at the bottom. I much prefere the body of my bag to be made as one piece, hence the 75.

If I carried a lot of kit about I would still own the 75 but have found that I can fit everything i need inside the 45 (and side pouches) and outside as it has a great set of attachment points.

As an example this is what I have packed in mine today for a 7 day hike to the Welsh Mountains:

Left Sidepouch:
Jetboil PS Cooking System & 2 Gas Cannisters
MSR MIOX Purifier
MSR Miniworks Water Filter
Small First Aid Kit
Nalgelene 1 Litre Bottle

Right Sidepouch:
Folding Saw
Leatherman Wave Multitool
Goretex Bivi Bag
Silk Sleeping Bag Liner
5 x Freeze Dried Meals
Nalgalene 1 Litre Bottle
Small Folding Shovel

Main Compartment:
12 Freeze Dried Meals
Coleman - Avior X1 Solo Tent
Ortovox Thermal Suit (1 Piece Merino 185)
Mountain Equipment Baselayer Tshirt
4 Pairs Of Socks (2x Thin & 2x Thick)
Spare Pair Mountain Equipment Trousers
Spare Pair ME Windstopper Gloves
Emergency Bothy Bag (2 Man)

Lid Compartment:
Goretex Poncho
6 Energy Bars
Whistle
Compass
2 Freeze Dried Meals

Outside Bag (Strapped in Exped Dry Bags):
Top - Swanndri Ranger Extreme Shirt
Bottom - ME Firewalker III Sleeping Bag

With a 75 the only benifit I would have is that the Swanndri and Sleeping bag would possibly have fit inside as well.

K

KenC

I've sworn by Karrimor rucksacks for about 20 years. Great peices of kit - well designed, well made, bomb proof. I have an Indepdence 60-100 (basically a bright red version of the Sabre 60-100), which was great, but too big, and really heavy (4+ kg!!).

I now have a Sabre 45, and second the last post that this is a trully excellent & flexible system. The basic sack is light (approx 1.4 kg), with plenty of room for a weekend trip (even in the winter), while adding side pockets makes it big enough for a trip of a couple of weeks.

I'm now decidedly of the opinion that the bigger sack you get the more you have to lug around (both because the sack is heavier; and because you feel the need to fill it). Much better to get something that's *just* too small - forces packing disciple, but you really benefit from it after a couple of hours in the hills.

shaun1209

Feb 17, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks for the reply's guys....

Any chances of seeing pictures of the pack in use or at least packed up as well as empty?

Sounds like majority of people prefer the 45 with PLCE packs vs the 75 without. WIth all the compression straps on the 75 can you compress it enough for a small trip and open it to full capacity for a longer trip and still enjoy it without having too much pack?

D

davinzzi

I have both the 45 and 75 but i like the 75 more because it lets me organize my kit better and it's more comfortable when carrying. I live in Finland and I have to carry winter kit almost 8/12 months. I can fit all of my kit in both of the bags.

Me with the Karrimor Sabre 75
kar1.jpg

My 75 vs friends 45.
kar2.jpg

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Here's a couple of unpacked pics. There's no doubt that it is a great bag perhaps a bit on the heavy side. More straps than you can handle and I just love the zipped "axe" pocket at the front. I only wear this on longer trips though. Like you, I just *had* to have this bag and I'm pleased I did.

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

Cheers,

Pablo.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I don't think you can go wrong with either one, they are so versatile in the way you can attach things to the outside. Plus also if you are worried about needing more compartments just get a couple of PLCE pouches and your sorted. BTW a friend of mine is also drooling over buying the 75 at the moment.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Nice singing in the second film, spacemonkey!
I think you should sign up for one of those "...seeking superstar..." shows.:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Time for bed"
To quote Zebadee.....
I am going to be trying the 60-100 coz I am a short git ( 5'6") and need the bottom end of the adjustable back system.... the Karrimor Cheeta 60-85 fits me wel but is not versatile enough for the expeds I lead, my main gripe being that as a civvy model it cannot take the side pocket/daysack military pouches and I have to carry a separate 30l rucksack.

shaun1209

Feb 17, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks for all the replys guys......

Those of you with the 75..i'm sure you find it plenty big enough for longer trips but if you wanted to go out for a couple days or so is it compressable enough to still carry your kit, feel good on your back and not be overly bulky to the point of madness?

I've gone and looked at 75 litre sacks in the stores and they look pretty damn big but in a few of your pics posted on here it looks like it can be small enough for small trips as well?

Also wondering that if I decide to purchase one if it would be cheaper to pay one of you guys or just buy direct from a UK store. No dealers in the US and i'd end up paying a heap load of money to buy it and get it here....i'm not even sure its an idea that would work but maybe something could be arranged......if not....no worries with me.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Sorry to jump in, but i was put off by the Karrimor Sabre series because every man and his dog had one.
And yet i find myself drawn to it after reading this thread, reviews and Spacemonkey's photos.

Just to make sure of one thing. You can use the bog standard Army PLCE side pouches for bergens on the karrimor series, ie the zips and buckles are compatible or is it just the later types of pouches?

Cheers

Nat

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Shaun,

I have a Sabre 75 and 45 and they are both superb packs. I've had a few lowe alpine packs and others... even a webtex bergen but for comfort nothing has touched the sabres.

I would just bite the bullet and order one, you won't be dissapointed with it... It's kinda like duluthpack stuff over here in the UK too... hard or expensive to get, so you will be the envy of all your friends ;)

Talking of which, that may be the way forward... I'm sure someone here at some point soon will want some stuff from cabelas or duluthpack etc... maybe arrange some kind of swap or exchange, saving both parties the duty costs.

Regardless of which option you end up with when sourcing it, i'm sure you'll be happy with the pack... I don't know if it was mentioned that they don't come with side pockets so you'll need to order those seperately but they are 12.5 litres each making a Sabre 45 a Sabre 70 - and a very compact 70 at that! so if your kit is under 70 litres, I would go for the 45 and side pockets.

Joe

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
I have a karrimor sabre 60-100 litre and I love it, best pack I have ever used. I think all the new versions of the pack have been adapted to take plce pouches. Really clever system, and I love they way it can expand to 100litres if I need it. I'd consider the 60-100 over the 75.

My only gripe is that it is a blooming heavy pack, even when empty, but I think that's a good trade off for a bomb proof bag. It is really comfy even with very heavy loads, much better than my former berghaus cyclops, and plce bergan,

I got mine direct from PRI, paid about £119 for it I think.

I am still after a frost river pack from bison bushcraft for bimbles though;)

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The Sabre 75 does compress down very nicely. There are three compression straps on each side of the sack to do this. You can even compress it with the side pouches fitted. Loads of straps to tuck away though.

One thing you can't compress is the lid. Obviously it's designed to cover the fully loaded rucksack and it looks a little big (actually coming down to half the length of the sack) when the sack is fully compressed. Looks a bit weird, but looks aren't everything.

My estimate is that is will compress down to about 45litre size sack maybe even less. Personally I use a 30 litre sack for day trips and overnighters but I would be happy taking the 75 out if I packed for comfort.

I would think (although I stand to be corrected) it would be the same price to ship it for one of us than it would be getting the company to ship it. You would probably want it to be insured in transit as well. Expensive bag to go missing or damaged so it might be worth the extra cost.

I don't think you'll regret the purchase even with the extra cost. You won't need another bag for a good long time.

Pablo.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Agree with above about compression- it is not a problem.
As I have a 45 and a 75 I would steer you away from the 45 as the back systems are lightyears apart. The 45 is like a large daypack, ideally suited for wearing above webbing or for light loads and is pretty much flat against your back. The 75 has a proper back with a proper lumbar pad and a proper belt. With side pouches it is knocking on for 100 litres.

If you are a skinny runt like me, these differences count for a lot, if you have your own padding built in, you might not worry... ;)

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Could any of you Sabre 75 owners please be so kind as to measure the backpength of your packs? I think I would need the distance from the inside of the shoulder strap attachment point, down to the hip pad (both the top and bottom of it if possible).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE