karrimor Sabre 60 - 100 Where to buy cheap?

Hello,

Im looking at buying a karrimor Sabre 60 - 100 with the PLCE posckets and yoke. Any one know of a good place to buy one?

I have had a look at a few online shops in the UK and they want to charge me 50 to 130 Pounds for shipping to Australia. OMG what a rip off! Surley it should be cheaper than that.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Dan

It seems to be awell made, comfortable and versitile rucsak from what I have read. I am also concidering Kifaru and Elberstock packs as well.

I currenty have a 14 year old MacPac Canyon which has been brilliant but now falling apart. The Macpac is very comfortable but didn't have external attachment points/loops. I would concider another one but the company has changed hands a few times in recent years and the quality of their gear has gone downhill.

Im after a quality item that will last me another decade and the Sabre seem like a good Item.

Cheers

Dan

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne, Aust.
I've been having the same problem. All the good stuff at good prices is in the UK, but shipping is a killer. Personally, I want the sabre 45 with the pockets and yoke.

The lakeland site says it only ships to the UK and BFPO addresses, no international shipping.

Cheers,
Russ

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

I would have a look on evil bay as many people there are use to sending abroad.

I know i have and have bought from Ausralia and the US.

I know Karrimor is very good but look at the Snugpak bergan and Rocket Pak to.

Good luck

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lakelandbushcraft is Lurch, he's a member here in very good standing.
If you are set on the packs he sells,( might be worth it if you both get together on this too) why not contact him and ask about them ?

I know that many businesses say up front UK and BFPO addresses only 'cos it cuts out the hassle of refusing some countries and not others.
Maybe he might consider posting, but there could be some real bother that just makes it unfeasible. :dunno:

There's a fair amount of similarity in army surplus kit world wide..........what do the Australian armed services use ?

cheers,
Toddy

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
I think it's the courier were the problem is in terms of cost of shipping.

Does any one have the dimensions e.g. length width height, for the KS60-100?

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Does the 60 - 100 use the PLCE side pockets? I thought it had expandable ones?

It has expanding side pockets, with zips (and clips) ready to accept a PLCE side pocket, and is intended for this purpose

You're right HillBill, it only has the expandable side pockets, no side pouch zips.

this is not true, unless you mean by default it does not have zip close pockets. Which it true, it has zips however that are unused where the PLCE side pocket attaches.

I think it's the courier were the problem is in terms of cost of shipping.

Does any one have the dimensions e.g. length width height, for the KS60-100?

If i remember, i'll measure the bag for you when i get home, got to empty it from a trip yesterday anyhow, i know its 3.96KG empty though.

If it makes you feel better, i just got shafted £40 to ship a ultralight stove to the UK, and today had to pay £22 VAT on top to get customs to release it. Great.... :-(

On a side note, the thing can take *alot* of gear in 100 mode. I intended to get the PLCE side pockets, but really its overkill, you can get a sigg bottle / cambleback in each side pocket with space to spare, and due to the side strapping, it wont slip out. I might get them soon anyhow for camera gear.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Weird about the side pouch zips. Mine didn't have them just the buckles and straps.

you should have 2 extra small unused backles top and bottom on the side sections, and two inward rather beefy zip halfs on the sides. you can actually tie the two zip halfs together which makes the bag have a capacity of "not alot" ;-) - they came zipped up when it was delivered to me actually.

These are not to be confused with the full length zips which run down the sides and take in a bit of the slack to make the 60-100 magic work.

edit: 37x73x25cm is the dimentions, give or take a bit. - you might be able to squash it down smaller, but then the box might have some spare space in it.

Gailainne

Life Member
Weird about the side pouch zips. Mine didn't have them just the buckles and straps.

I believe there were 2 different versions of the 60-100, one could take the plce pouches the other could'nt, there was'nt much difference in price either.

Back to the topic in hand, Mulga I dont know why you would want to hump something that heavy around.

I gave up on mine a year ago, its top of my wardrobe gathering dust, I use a Golite Odyssey 90 litre rucksack, for extended trips and a 30l for weekends. The Odyssek weighs 1.6 kilos empty, the Sabre is more than twice that.

Stephen

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
as Gailainne said, there are/ were two types, i have the new type with the pouches and straps. Good bit of kit, but it is a heavy beast, solid as a rock but just as heavy.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Good bit of kit, but it is a heavy beast, solid as a rock but just as heavy.

:) ya'all a bunch 'o pansies !

I was aware there are two types. One made by karrimore, the other by PKI (same quality though, made under licence), but i thought the sole difference was one has a rubber section to protect from crampon spikes, and the other didnt. Learn something everyday :)

i dunno, the weight of it scared me too, esp when you hold up the same weight in water or similar. But once its on you dont notice it..... in fact i went for a walk two days ago with all my gear in it to give it a full testing and was thinking to myself how odd it was that getting onto my shoulders was hard work (i litrally took all the gear i owned to test it under extreme circumstances) but once i got it fully on, i barely noticed i even had the thing on.

im also quite clumsy, you know ? give me an ultralight bag and i'll give you a shredded pile of rags.

Phil6201

Nov 16, 2008
New Zealand
Try RVops, I managed to get a 60-100 here in NZ, but the shop looked at me blankly when I asked about side pouches.

A couple of places wanted 30 pounds for shipping the side pouches from the UK! RVops was the only one that offered decent shipping to NZ, so they might have a more reasonable rate for the pack as well.

I had a look RVOps site. Sabre 60 - 100 + PLCE pouches + Shipping GBP 240.89 AUD$493. I really dont think it is worth that much.

I am giving serious thought to the Aussie Desidned (made?) Crossfire DG-3 LONG RANGE PACK (AUD $399) + MOLLE pouches.

http://crossfire.com.au/?cat=9

Design Brief
Way back in the early ‘80’s Ian Maley of WE designed the famous SAS - Mk6 rucksack. It was the most advanced military pack of its day, with a live frame and ergonomic harness.

Ten - twenty years later many loyal SAS - Mk6 users started coming to us as their much loved packs approached the end of their service lives.

We commissioned Mr Maley to bring the pack up to date, using all his years of industry experience and in the light of feedback from thousands of users.

The result of our R&D investment is the Dukz Gutz of military packs, the DG-3. In performance it equals the finest of mountaineering packs, in military features it is unequalled.

A brilliant design, superbly executed.

Features

Flexible Frame. Aircraft alloy frame flexes with the human back to allow for a natural gait. Hips and shoulders can move independently. The flex cancels the sway on rigid frame packs which is so fatiguing to shoulder muscles.
Shock from jumps and falls is absorbed by the spring tempered frame minimising spinal stresses.

Harness. Finest construction and ergonomics. Laminated from no less than 7 layers of technical materials to ensure ventilation, load distribution and personal fit. Structural elements maintain shape under heavy loads and prolonged use. Memory materials mould to the wearer’s shape. Free-2-Air® body contact mesh for ventilation and cooling. Adjustable, elasticised sternum strap.

Shoulder Strap QR. CrossFire exclusive low profile QR buckles. Solid under load, super swift release. Security lock off.

Mega Duckbill buckle for easy adjustment on donning and doffing. PLEASE NOTE: None of our packs use the manifestly inadequate expedient of a 1″ side release buckle in this role. Dangerous and improper usage.

Drag Handle. Heavily reinforced and big enough for hand grip or krab.
Hip Fins. CBA Compatible. Hip loading is a vital feature for heavy hauling. However, CBA and belt order are incompatible with conventional hip belts. Our elegant solution is hip fins which can be swung upwards and stowed. In this position they still provide support while allowing clearance for belt order. Should there be a need to wear bulky CBA the padding can be removed from the fins for better clearance. This feature is also useful when operating out of cramped aircraft or vehicles. Stowing hip fins greatly reduces the nuisance of belt and buckles snagging on seats or tripping up your colleagues.

Dust Proofing / Waterproofing.
Top Compartment. Roll top is simple and fast to use. It’s the first line of defence against dust and dew. In the unfortunate event that you must overload, the sleeve allows secure stowage above the shoulder line
Waterproof liner. Removable taped waterproof liner bag. Roll and snap top. Saves precious minutes on river crossings.

Sleeping Bag Compartment.

Outer closure by roll and snap. Inner liner is taped tent floor nylon.

Hydration Pouch. Inner hangers and pouch to fit 3 litre Gerber hydration. Dual ports for tubing.

Radio Pouch. Inner hangers and mesh pouch for radio. Aerial ports. Zip access.
Top Lid. Shaped for snag free movement through scrub. Zipped claymore pocket.

Side Compression Straps. Two each side. One top centre.

MOLLE. Our distinctive 20 / 25 MOLLE on back and sides make it easy to attach any make of PALS pouches or pockets.

LA Rings. For attachment of extra straps to carry external loads

X Buckles. We chose to use X buckles for various closures and strap adjustments. These latest generation buckles have many detail improvements over previous styles.
Crush (boot heel) resistant reinforced walls. Reinforced ‘fingers’ can’t be inserted incorrectly. Improved approach angle for one handed closing. Extra plate thickness for strength.

Field replaceable via LA rings.

Dimensions: 56 cm H x 32cm W x 26cm D
Volume (packed to shoulder level): 75 litres
Weight: 4.5kg
Colours: Coyote, DPCU.

Price: $399.00

Spare Parts
Just in case you do manage to lose or break buckles, you’ll find spares in an inside pocket. Is this not impressive attention to detail?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE