Karrimor boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hello my friends , I was given a good offer on very lightly used karrimor hot rock boots , how good and reliable are they? last time my lowa boots lost there soles on a 3 day backpacking trip in the caucasus mountains thank God it was last day or I would probably come back barefooted, I can't afford expensive boots but I'm paranoid about cheap ones, any advice?it's not for bushcraft strictly for hiking and backpacking

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Karrimor used to make very good boots, but nowadays they simply bask in that former reputation, they are now just another brand belonging to Sports Direct and manufactured to a budget, so I would say likely to last one season at the most before they start coming apart. I have seen surplus german para boots highly recommended here. I got a pair recently, too recently to give a long term report. Whilst they are a lot heavier than my now vintage Brasher boots which are as comfortable as a pair of trainers. The para boots certainly look look like they will stand up to a lot of abuse and can be resoled at any local cobblers. Mine are going to get some punishment now as my goto gardening boots. Before I got my Brasher Boots I had a pair of Karrimor boots, which I did not keep long as they caused me to almost lose a toenail due to my foot constantly sliding forward whilst descending a mountain track in Snowdonia, so it is never again for me, they were a very poor fit.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I bought brand new Karrimor Mendip boots a few months back. Within a couple of months the stitching around the foot width came apart on both boots exactly the same. I will not buy Karrimor boots again!!!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
My wife bought a pair of KSB's in a store closing down sale about 10 years ago, and they have been OK. But I bought some Karrimor approach shows from Sports Direct around the same time and they fell apart within a little more than a week of normal use.

About 15 years ago, Sports Direct bought Karrimor in essentially a fire sale (their bank pretty much cut them off at the knees - strangely enough they happened to be Sports Directs bank as well...), as well as Lillywhites, which is how I got some bargains when they liquidated the stock. After that, some of the Karrimor stuff is OK..ish (a day pack I bought perhaps 12 years ago is still useable), but most of it is rubbish.

Just avoid - not worth the hassle. I notice karrimore boots are in Go Outdoors, which surprises me. But they are relatively cheap. However, a lot of them are retailing at around the £65 point, which is the same price they are selling some Berghaus and Mammat!. Scapa is coming in at £70. There is so much decent choice out there, at perhaps not a lot more money long term, that its not worth thinking about, any more than Mountain Warehouse.

And when it comes to boots, it has to be comfortable, and it has to work. Brasher is now owned by Berghaus, but not much has apparently changed, which is a good thing!

Reactions: Nice65

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
The ksb boots were the best fabric boots I ever owned. Unfortunately Karrimor is just a name for a poor quality brand at the moment.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I had some karrimor ksb boots they cost me £60 in about 1992, pale green suede, genuine Vibram soles. Top quality. They wore and wore and wore,eventually one boot lost its sole in 2009,but by then they'd had their day and didn't bother repairing them. I wore them even in the printing works they had ink splashes on them.Just very good comfortable boots that didn't leak in the rain or smell bad either.I wouldn't get any karrimor stuff now,nor clarks either for that matter

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
.I wouldn't get any karrimor stuff now

well I read some pretty negative reviews on them as well, but I bought a pair of these for £54 in a sale, because the footbed suits my instep,
71cu1OZMOSL._UY395_.jpg

and so far after many miles of use they have been flawless, and supremely comfortable. Summer use only, so I'm not bothered if they're waterproof, but so far, they haven't let anything in. They have Vibram soles as well. If I get a couple of years out of them that'll be fine with me. The most important thing for me regarding boots is their comfort level. I've bought some pretty expensive stuff in the past that have had me "buckled" after only a few hours of use. I stick to Altbergs for winter. :)

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have an ancient pair of Karrimor boots, and they're still sound. Had a lot of wear, lot of abuse, and are now relegated to the gardening, but still very wearable. Himself bought a pair about five years ago and they sort of keeled over to one side in few weeks. Something not quite up to par in the stiffening/linings.

Boots are such a personal thing, everybody's feet are different, everyone's stride is different, and the use they're given can greatly reduce their usefulness too.
Nowadays I wouldn't buy boots I hadn't seen and tried on, not unless I (or Himself) had had that kind previously.

Haven't tried Mountain Warehouse boots, but Himself is happy with their walking trainers. He's hard on those, his daily walk is a ramble and a scramble through woods and fields, up and down river banks, etc., and it kills boots and trainers. Merrell lasted six weeks, MW four months with no blisters, hot spots or twisting.
I'm wearing one of their cagoules just now, and it's been excellent. Better than my Berghaus, Arcteryx and Jack Wolfskin ones for wear, that's for sure.
Their trousers last better than the Craghoppers or other brand names, apart from Rohan, too. I would add that Himself is one of those lean, trim, wirily built men, 5'8" weighing in at under 10stone, so it's not size and weight that's physically destroying clothes and footwear, just wear and tear and hard walking. He's using Brasher and Berghaus boots just now, and seems happy with them, though the Brasher's soles are starting to really wear down.

If the Karrimor boots are a real bargain, and you can afford to replace them quickly if necessary, then you could try them and might well be surprised. If they're not going for a song, and you really need them with no way to replace quickly, then I'd be reluctant to take them. Not with the issues we know that many of them have had.

Reactions: tiger stacker

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Some of Mountain warehouse stuff isnt awful, but when you consider that its staff get a 50% discount (25% is what I get on most thing were I work, and thats about as high as it gets for retail), you have to wonder about the original cost, and therefore build quality of the equipment.

If someone find a bargain, great - my wife has a old lightweight fleece from them she got for about £4 - and its lasted. And I will have a look at their trousers. But I am always suspicious of any place that has constant sales - either its in trouble or its not a real sale.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh the sales there are a perennial thing :)
Honestly though, they will accept any voucher or discount offer on top of the sale too though, and that includes free postage.

I sometimes wonder if they're like Primark and don't spend a huge budget on high end advertising. I buy both, and Primark's as good as M&S for a lot of stuff.

I am becoming cynical in my age; most clothing is made in the far east or in India/Pakistan. It's all pretty much the same quality, regardless of which shop it's bought from.
Not always, but for a lot of stuff it definitely is.

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Oh the sales there are a perennial thing :)
Honestly though, they will accept any voucher or discount offer on top of the sale too though, and that includes free postage.

I sometimes wonder if they're like Primark and don't spend a huge budget on high end advertising. I buy both, and Primark's as good as M&S for a lot of stuff.

I am becoming cynical in my age; most clothing is made in the far east or in India/Pakistan. It's all pretty much the same quality, regardless of which shop it's bought from.
Not always, but for a lot of stuff it definitely is.

M
There is stuff that is manufactured in the Far East to a budget and stuff that is properly quality controlled. I actually have a pair of Chinese branded trainers, they are not all made in China, though, but the ones that are, are supposed to be the better quality. I do think it is wrong when goods are effectively just badge engineered and it is unfortunate that certain brands cannot be manufactured at home anymore, when it comes to brands like Doc Martens, the quality is not the same at all, but then a lot of footwear is of almost unmerchantable quality in my opinion, a thin skin of leather over synthetic fabric, all very much a pretense. I think over time the companies that are now being used to outsource so called Western brands will gradually start to manufacture and market there own designs, which will probably be better than those manufactured under licence. Just look how the Japanese motor industry took on the west. It is the dishonesty I don't like.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
It is the dishonesty I don't like.

it is what I call "brand hijacking" . Taking/buying a name that was once synonymous with quality, and applying it to something of lower quality in the hope that consumers wont notice. There are companies out there that peddle their product based on a heritage that they have neither earned, or had any input. Barr & Stroud to name one. I still wear a pair of these,
large_0668.jpg

The current price is £299. Still properly made oldschool, and I remember seeing hill farmers wearing them as a small boy. The only change are the speed lacing hooks, my last pair were eyelets, which were a pest. But, the cheap Karrimors are far more forgiving on the feet after a day's hard use. All my friends who still work in the hills now wear Harkila, Meindl, and the likes, whereas 30 years ago it would have been "Braemasters", myself included,
large_1000.jpg

These things are heavy, but will outlast most modern boots, and in remote communities as I lived in, there was always someone who doubled as a bootmaker. The last man I know who would do this, sadly passed away recently, although my local town has an excellent show repair shop, not cheap though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Laurentius

If you ask China for cheap, on a tight/tight budget, then you'll get what you ask for. If you ask for quality, and are prepared to pay for proper processing and quality control then you will get very very good results. It's the price difference they're paid, but that's not what comes across here. Here the sellers do the cheaper options and then try to charge quality prices.
At least Primark and Mountain Warehouse, etc., are fairly priced for ordinary everyday mass manufactured stuff......and they're still making a profit.

On that note, Kilner jars and bottles made in China are carp, as to my disgust were John James needles. I'm hoping the latter have sorted things out because their reputation was tanking over them and I know that their rep was headed over to the factory. I reckon they were skimping on processes to meet a price line.
LeCreuset made in Malaysia seems to be fine, they've just scraped through the made in France mould mark, so I presume they're using the same moulds, etc.,
Clark's shoes are now hard and most uncomfortable, and their quality control and customer service is dreadful.

Still doesn't seem right though, does it ?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
'it is what I call "brand hijacking"

And its not just footwear, etc.

There is a difference between brands that have moved production to China etc, because of costs (and they are potentially huge), but as Toddy says, continue to produce much the same, and have decent quality control, and those that dont. DM's have moved production, but their product seems not to have greatly changed (we live about 40min from the factory shop, and my 15 year old has a pair with a flower print). I am sure that there are people who do think that DM's are not as good, etc. But the reality is that if you want a profitable company, then production is much more difficult in the UK. Rab and other outdoor brands produce much of their equipment in the Far East as well, but again, are very careful in terms of quality control, because they have a reputation to maintain. And that quality control costs.

One of the things that can happen is that a well known quality brand gets into difficulties, gets bought out or hived off, etc. And that brand name/reputation is valuable. But to maximise profitability, its not unknown to slap that name on pretty much anything and everything, especially if the company holding the name cares nothing for the reputation of the brand long term. Sports Direct does that as a business model - Karrimor is the one we are talking about, but there are many others in its portfolio.

Remember when Pierre Cardin went from a rather posh brand to suddenly being on everything from baseball caps to even being able to buy their luggage in Argos? The rights made a lot of money, but cheapened the brand.

I sell TV's part time, and I can spot a badging effort when I see one. You can see why - the margins for manufacturers are low, and if you have a well known brand name, you can make rather more money with less effort by getting a bog standard TV made in Turkey, etc and slapping a brand name on it. Toshiba is a classic example of this - ten years ago a solid brand. Now? Stick to the 4 major brands if you can. Go around a Sainsburys and you will find Blaupunkt. Until 2009, it was part of Bosch (so decent). Now its not, and the backs betray their price point and market.

Brands wax and wane. But lowering quality in the short term seldom leads to long term growth. At some point, people who want to buy quality will move on.

Reactions: Toddy and GuestD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE