Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion

Halloween-Man

Feb 23, 2011
Ireland
Hi All,

Has any one got experience of the BK2 ?
I would be intersted in purchasing for general camping and bushcraft. Seems to get positive reviews all round..

Many Thanks

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi there Halloween-Man and welcome.

I've got a BK2 and like it a lot. It's a big beast compared with the Moras and Woodlore-style blades you commonly find in the bushcraft world. I personally find it very comfortable to use though, and a lot of that is down to the very ergonomic shape of the handle.

I fully understand that a knife is primarily a tool for slicing, but the BK2 was, I understand, originally inspired by the British MOD Survival Knife. That means I've used mine to chop through branches and baton through logs. It's held up absolutely fine. I've also made a spoon with it, almost using like a leuku by holding on to the pommel end or maybe a small hatchet to chop away a load of the material.

It's quite easy to sharpen on a DC4, which is what I use. Also, I don't mind the knife getting filthy, covered in muck etc - maybe because it's not pretty, but looks very utilitarian.

I usually team it up with a BK11 (the Becker Necker) for smaller uses and the combo works well. You can easily get away with just using the Campanion though (as ever it depends what you want your tools to do of course!)

You'll find plenty of fans here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=827

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Halloween-Man

Feb 23, 2011
Ireland
Hi Dark Horse Dave,

Many thanks for that very informative reply - I think I will go with the BK2...
What started out as a simple task of buying a knife has escaleted into a major research project :)

I have considered all of the following :

1) Cold Steel SRK
2) SOG Seal Pup elite
3) Ka-Bar USMC
4) Ontario 499
5) Fallkniven F1
4) Ka-Bar Becker BK2

All of the above seem to have certain pros and cons , but the BK2 seems to tick most boxes.
When it comes to cutting and slicing, do you find that the BK2 can do food prep ok ?

The Fallkniven F1 is very good but VERY expensive. (any cheap sources out there ?)
All of the other knives above are in the $65 US dollar price range + shipping from the USA.

Thanks again !

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi Dark Horse Dave,

What started out as a simple task of buying a knife has escaleted into a major research project :)

When it comes to cutting and slicing, do you find that the BK2 can do food prep ok ?

The Fallkniven F1 is very good but VERY expensive. (any cheap sources out there ?)

Thanks again !

Hey - the research is half the fun!!

Food prep: well it's no kitchen knife and you're not going to get julienne veg with it! I've used the BK2 to chop the limbs & heads off squirrels after I've done the skinning & gutting with my BK11 if that counts, and it did that very well.

F1: I've got one of those as well, bought from Trueways, which sometimes has them for a good price. After handling the BK2 for a while it feels quite titchy in comparison. Great knife though!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE