K9 First aid kit

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Those of you who have met me at a meet will be aware that i take my little pup when i am able to ! It struck me the other day that as i take a first aid kit to deal with any minor unfortunate cicumstances i may get myself into , i should take some stuff more specific to a dog . I have a set of tic removers , but was wondering if there was anything else that i should consider carrying to deal with K9 maintainance ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
He must be only "pup" capable of towing a landy lol. But seriously I believe its safe to use tea tree oil on minor cuts etc just as for people. Might be worth asking a vet?
Dave.

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Very good question Pumbaa. :D

I only ever take out my own FAK which most of the dressings could easily be used on our 4 legged friends.

I have at home some Antiseptic wash which vets use on the skin before they prep for surgery. We bought (£12 for a litre) it to use on a cut on Storms paw. Some could be taken out with me and used for minor abrasions and also for areas once the ticks have been removed.

Will try and post name when i get home.

Cheers

SW

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
We have a few items in our dog bag, one of which is a stick which is supposed to stop bleeding (think its human friendly too) you dip it in water and touch on the wound, . We also carry a few antiseptic wipes, vaseline for the Pugs nose/wrinkles and a tick remover.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Pumbaa,

most of what's in your FAK, dressings, plasters, antiseptic, tweezers are a useful for the bacon hunter as they are for you.

The only exceptions being any drugs that should only be used under a vet's guidance.

It's worth checking with a friendly vet but to be honest having used my first aid skills on dogs before, it's mostly a case of washing a wound and dressing it in a way that the little sod can't chew off (a major challenge).

Moduser

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I have used a dry spray on cuts on my dogs feet - can't remember what it's called, I shall look it out when I'm back home. It sprays on as a dry powder that helps wounds to clot and acts as an anti septic.

The dogs don't like the taste of it but it's meant to be harmless if they do ingest it.

George

EdS

best think to use on a cut dog is saline. You can get little tubes from the chemist or you can just boil some water and make at saturated aslt solution and put it ia clean bottle - cheap as chips.

Beware of anything like TCP, germoline as some of these effect different animals in different ways plus they tend to like it off - injection can casuse more problems.

Other than that clean cotton wool, bandages etc. I would avoid plasters - poor thing has got all that hair not a good combination with plasters. I you need anything use dressings/cotton wool and micropore. You can alway cover with cling film and tie loosely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE