Just to clarify...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I would say wild camping is in the wilderness or say somewhere not commercial where you bring all your kit with you and dont prop up a tent in a nice grassy patch that gives full bathroom facilities and water with a pub around the road :) instead i would suggest wild camping is "Roughing it" much like a drunken night when you fall asleep in a hedge....

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
My take on wild camping is that it should be away from signs of civilisation ie, not beside a road, in a public park, near housing. Some countries specify you must be atleast 100mtrs from the nearest dwelling.
You should be self sufficient (pack in pack out) and responsible.

The Scottish Outdoor Access code has tried to come up with a definition of wild camping.

What the Code says
Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by:
-taking away all your litter;
-removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires);
-not causing any pollution.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Wild camping should be done with minimal kit, in a howling gale with freezing cold sheet rain, minimum off 4 nights to make sure of hypothermia and soaking kit, matters not where, Amstel park would do:lmao:

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
My take on the definition of wild camping is:

Self reliant, taking in all that you need except renewable resources taken from your immediate environment. (dead wood, hazel wands for pot stands etc.)
The site chosen should be remote from civilisation, be it on hills, in valleys or woods.

When wild camping it is important to leave no trace of your being there. Remove all rubbish and fully extinguish fires and erradicate signs of them.

The essence of wild camping is freedom to stop and set up camp where you see fit. It brings with it the responsibility of leaving the enviromnet where you camped as it was prior to your visit.

I cannot remember where I heard the quote "Take only photographs, leave only footprints".

Stewey.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE