Just starting out

May 11, 2010
NJ, USA
First post. Been lurking here awhile, absorbing some great info and DIY projects. Figured I'd share some of my own! I had some free time a few weeks ago, as well as some reclaimed leather, so I got down to making a few things.

The Mora blade is mounted into antler with epoxy, with some suede lace (soaked in shellac). The firesteel is set into a sizable antler tine. Sheath was wet formed a bit and offers a perfect fit.

The pouch I based on a how-to posted somewhere around here (I forget their handle, but thankyou for your tutorial!). The heavier leather is from a roll I got at Tandy, but the thinner pouching is from an old leather jacket I got at Salvation Army (it matches my good leather jacket pretty well, so I bought it for the main purpose of patching and repairs, should the need arise). Antler keeper and antler-tine toggle.

2010-05-22104207.jpg

2010-05-22104233.jpg

The pouch contains a tinder wallet made from the same leather as the pouching (in fact, it's just part of the jacket's belt). The leather was opened up, threading removed, soaked, ironed out, dried, shaped, and then waxed with paraffin. Antler toggle.
Pouch also contains a small bar of soap wrapped in wax paper. I value cleanliness.

2010-05-22104302.jpg

2010-05-22104352.jpg

Kukri is a "Bhojpure" circa WW1, purchased from Atlanta Cutlery. This was an incredible value. I sprang for the handpicked option, and I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. I opted for just the handled knife, as oppose to one with a sheath. I prefer the heavy, leather quick-draw style as oppose to the wood and goat of traditional carry. Came slathered in Cosmoline, cleaned her up nice. Even the old, traditional, smaller handle is very comfortable in my hand (as oppose to modern Kukris made for the Western market's larger hands).

My only previous Kukri was a HI Ghelbu Special. Though that one was probably stronger (peened through-tang), the Ghelbu is narrow and more of a martial arts Kukri. The Bhojpure has more weight toward the front and really cleaves. I'd actually love to find a counterpart with similar blade specs, but with either full or through-tang, from HI.

2010-05-22104516.jpg

2010-05-22104533.jpg

Thanks for looking. I have a long way to go in my leatherwork, but I don't think I'm doing all that bad for being completely self-taught. :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cool stuff. Making something from nothing is the best feeling, especially when you can see the end product forming. Thanks for posting them and keep ity up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE