Just sarting out - hammock recommendations??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I got my first a DD Frontline in April and have been happily hanging ever since. My kids want to start next year and I will probably buy one for them. Comes with bug net and pocket to put a mat underneath you

Daztilley

Oct 28, 2015
Paisley - Scotland
Thanks guys - looks like i'll need to do a bit of research.
Quite fancy a hammock - have seen the snugpak jungle one and the nomad one - both with nets.
Need a net as its mad with the dreaded midge up here in the west of scotland

cheers
Daz

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
remember you'll need bottom insulation too. Your sleeping bag wont work as its compressed underneath you

if on a budget look at snugpak or DD hammocks underquilts....i used a normal sleeping mat for years but an underquilt is the way to go

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Enjoydeal Portable High Strength Parachute Fabric Hammock Hanging Bed With Mosquito Net For Outdoor Camping Travel (Army Green) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FQCKBJM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_u61owbR2NCGEM

Proper cheaply but performs flawlessly. I've had a few hammocks and honestly when mine wears out I'll be buying another like it (i actually have the even cheaper one without the big net) works absolutely fine, accepts underblankets, it's comfortable, light and easy to set up.
Pay money for a decent underblanket, don't spend money where you don't need to. I use cheap £2 PU tarps and they keep me dry and have in all weathers. If you want a canvas tarp look no further than Ian on this sight (bilmo) absolute craftsman. I've had my eye on his gear for ages. Bushcraft is cheap enough if you do it right :)

Daztilley

Oct 28, 2015
Paisley - Scotland
Thanks for the info mate - looks like you can get well kitted out on a budget!
Have looked at the reviews on amazone and it seems that the net mesh isn't fine enough to hold back the scottish midge :(
So another consideration will be how fine the net is.....

Cheers
Daz

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the info mate - looks like you can get well kitted out on a budget!
Have looked at the reviews on amazone and it seems that the net mesh isn't fine enough to hold back the scottish midge :(
So another consideration will be how fine the net is.....

Cheers
Daz

Aye that might prove problematic. I use a tubular net that goes all the way around me and the hammock. But by my own admission it's a faff on

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If weight is not an issue then an old sleeping bag can be used to make a very effective under quilt for next to nothing.

Second the black hornet recommendation. I have the XL version

Daztilley

Oct 28, 2015
Paisley - Scotland
Thanks very much for all the helpful info guys!!!
Had a good look at the TW hornet hammocks and they released a new ripstop hornet hammock with double zips on the 30th october 2015 - so i have splashed out and bought 1 :D

With so many great reviews of their gear on the net - i thought i'd just buy good/buy once :)

Thanks again guys!!!

Daz

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Glad you got sorted. Check out this guys youtube vids about hammocking, very informative.
[video=youtube;d7NZVqpBUV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0[/video]

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Shug is excellent, but may be a bit overwhelming at first. If so, try

theultimatehang.com

For a less frenetic approach.

A zip on midge net is very good, but expensive, so search Fronkey on Youtube for an easy to make separate bug net.

Cheap (single word meaning illegitimate child) ******* on Youtube has a really good DIY for a hammock tarp made from clear plastic sheet (painters drop cloth) and gorilla tape for the seams. Worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCUc_aUnb0

A sothers have said , underquilts are great. You can get very effective under insulation from a closed cell pad costing about UKP 5.

No need to spend a fortune and discover you don't like hammocks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE