Just popped some money for a Lavvu.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I finally gave in and bought two Polish ponchos aka Lavvu. This has been on my wish list for ages and I was convinced to drop some money and buy one when I had to do some work outside today and the heavens opened. My coat was soaked through and it didn't have a hood so I wasn't a happy chappy. Two ponchos one for me and one for my wife makes up to a nice shelter. No doubt I could have found them cheaper but I stopped looking when I found a supplier local to me.

So does anyone have any hints and tips for use they would care to share?

Thanks,
Malc.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Double layer on the outside when used as a poncho ~ and on the inside when used as a shelter! ;)

Para cord loops through the pegging grommits will increase floor space by an extremely small but useful amount.

Do you have Size 1, 2, or 3? (Number of grommits at the floor end of the buttons/button holes ~ S/M/L, in that order)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I love my Polish lavvu. I sprayed it with Thompson's weatherseal a little while ago, now the rain just beads on it. Here is a video I made for a tall person set up.

[video=youtube;VK5MZLFwkwc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5MZLFwkwc[/video]

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Double layer on the outside when used as a poncho ~ and on the inside when used as a shelter! ;)

Para cord loops through the pegging grommits will increase floor space by an extremely small but useful amount.

Do you have Size 1, 2, or 3? (Number of grommits at the floor end of the buttons/button holes ~ S/M/L, in that order)

Thanks I wouldn't have thought about reversing it for the shelter.
It looks like there's three grommits on it. Here's a photo from the listing, if I'm looking in the right place then it's three grommits.
Lavvu.jpg

I love my Polish lavvu. I sprayed it with Thompson's weatherseal a little while ago, now the rain just beads on it. Here is a video I made for a tall person set up.

Aha thanks you answered a question I forgot in the OP about waterproofing. I want to give them a wash to remove and musty odour smells then spray with the weatherseal. Thanks for the video link bookmarked for later.

How comfortable would it be for two if I took out the center pole and suspended the apex from a branch?

**EDIT**
Just watched the video I really like your set up for the length, nice job.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks I wouldn't have thought about reversing it for the shelter.

Defies logic really doesn't it! :rofl: And yes, I had to be told too :lmao:

It looks like there's three grommits on it. Here's a photo from the listing, if I'm looking in the right place then it's three grommits.

It might be a generic/stock pic. Recieving mismatched sizes is not unknown :yikes:

EDIT: But yes, the shelter in the pic is a three grommit (largest size) :D

Aha thanks you answered a question I forgot in the OP about waterproofing. I want to give them a wash to remove and musty odour smells ...

I've not treated mine never had issue with water ingress ~ but I think mine was NOS or had very little, if any, use. If it's only been sored and not used, perhaps a good airing to see if that clears the must?

How comfortable would it be for two if I took out the center pole and suspended the apex from a branch?

It'll all depend on how much space you want or need ... regardless of how it's rigged or suspended two plus kit might be fun :D
Have a bit of a search on people using tripods inside too ;) .

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
It might be a generic/stock pic. Receiving mismatched sizes is not unknown :yikes:

It'll all depend on how much space you want or need ... regardless of how it's rigged or suspended two plus kit might be fun :D
Have a bit of a search on people using tripods inside too ;) .

After some net searching I too heard of getting mismatched sizes, well if I do then it's going back. True it's primary use is two ponchos but I don't need a lop sided tent when I do put them together. :)

Oh well it was just a pipe dream anyway. The chances of getting my wife to do an overnighter under canvas and "roughing it" as she says are slim to none. Even if it's in the back garden. She likes her creature comforts too much.:)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
After some net searching I too heard of getting mismatched sizes, well if I do then it's going back. True it's primary use is two ponchos but I don't need a lop sided tent when I do put them together. :)

In the unlikely event you do you can ask (require) that they send the requisite part ~ the stock pic they've used shows a three grommet/Large then you should expect the ad to be what you receive, (unless the ad stated that a different size might be sent). And if you do receive mismatched sizes then it won't be as advertised ;)

Oh well it was just a pipe dream anyway. The chances of getting my wife to do an overnighter under canvas and "roughing it" as she says are slim to none. Even if it's in the back garden. She likes her creature comforts too much.:)

Too soon to write the dream off ~ it's always worth a play to see what you can do or alter ;)

Have a look here ~ http://dabberty.com/?p=1823 ~ there's nothing saying the side wall needs to be permanently attached! ;) :D

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Just as an aside to the Thomsons weatherseal comment by CrosslandKelly.
I had a canvas tent to proof. Thomsons has changed formula and is not suitable for canvas now BUT B&Q own range waterproofer for bricks etc is £16 for 5l and on Wednesdays it'll be £14.60 if you know a friendly OAP. Cheaper than Thomsons and Grangers. Cheers.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I had a canvas tent to proof. Thomsons has changed formula and is not suitable for canvas now BUT B&Q own range waterproofer for bricks etc is £16 for 5l and on Wednesdays it'll be £14.60 if you know a friendly OAP. Cheaper than Thomsons and Grangers. Cheers.

Thanks for that headsup. The tin I used was about 5/6 years old.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk

My 2nd one is a so called mismatched pair, and it makes diddly difference. Superb little tents.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.

Hmm thanks for the info I'll use some of B&Q's one

My 2nd one is a so called mismatched pair, and it makes diddly difference. Superb little tents.

Oh that's good to know. A smaller one might be a blessing in disguise as my wife is only 5'4" and I thought about sewing buttons on the hem inside to button it up for walking. Thanks mate. :)

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hello Flash, Jeager,

Wow some seriously good reading and modding in the threads. Thanks for posting them, I'm not sure how I missed them before I asked about any hints and tips I ran a search for just such a thread. Cheers guys much appreciated. :You_Rock_

I'm off to make a cuppa then sit down for some serious Lavvu reading.:) maybe with some Fleetwood Mac or Jethro Tull as background.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hello Flash, Jeager,

Wow some seriously good reading and modding in the threads. Thanks for posting them, I'm not sure how I missed them before I asked about any hints and tips I ran a search for just such a thread. Cheers guys much appreciated. :You_Rock_

I'm off to make a cuppa then sit down for some serious Lavvu reading.:) maybe with some Fleetwood Mac or Jethro Tull as background.

Nice music....go down well with a bit of woodie!!

(If anyone is in any doubt..."woodie" aka "woodpigeon"..................)

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk

I have one ( well 2), but one is a mix of sizes and it makes not a jot of difference.....................

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks Laurence, Mine showed up and it was the two hole medium, both of them. Good job it wasn't the larger/longer three hole as my wife tried one on and it drags the floor by a good 3 to 4 inches. I'll have to either sew some buttons and loops on the bottom or sew some velcro on to lift the hem up as she be tripping over constantly. :)

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Thanks Laurence, Mine showed up and it was the two hole medium, both of them. Good job it wasn't the larger/longer three hole as my wife tried one on and it drags the floor by a good 3 to 4 inches. I'll have to either sew some buttons and loops on the bottom or sew some velcro on to lift the hem up as she be tripping over constantly. :)

Of course as a poncho, yup it WILL make a difference.! Sorry I stand corrected.....
As a tent, Ive started using mine, hung from an A frame, instead of an internal pole. Brilliant, really stable still, and much more roomy, and of course easier to position a groundsheet..........

How are you finding yours, as ponchos?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Makes a lovely little tent, thought I have made some take-down poles for mine (an internal tripod) as it gives more space, but to be honest I use it more as a poncho. Wore it tonight for walking the dog along the canal after dark, as it was chucking it down. Works brilliantly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE