Just Freaked myself out!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Mind you , you could do what I do (in daylight that is) Permanently be lost!
Wander off the track looking at trees and stuff and realise that you dont know where you are and then it becomes more of a novelty when you know where you are!
Dave
Probably not such a good idea (unless like my local woods) you are in a small wood.:)

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
SWMBO and I have our favourite patch of woodland about 20mins from home. During the spring it has fantastic displays of bluebells. We went there for a walk a few winters ago and watched the deer by lying in a ditch full of snow for a while. Then we started to walk back to the car... and the fun started.
Normally I can be anywhere in these woods and point to the car (slightly to the bemusement of Mrs Stevesteve. On this day as the light grew less we walked down the snowy path and peered ahead: a snowy path to a junction with another path. Down to the junction and take a turning... on to a snowy path to a junction with another path. After a few more turns the old internal gyros were tumbling. A very unsettling feeling! Eventually we did come across a path we knew but for a while I had absolutely no idea where we were and no references at all, no sun and everything looked the same. Freaky.

Cheers,
Steve

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
SWMBO and I have our favourite patch of woodland about 20mins from home. During the spring it has fantastic displays of bluebells. We went there for a walk a few winters ago and watched the deer by lying in a ditch full of snow for a while. Then we started to walk back to the car... and the fun started.
Normally I can be anywhere in these woods and point to the car (slightly to the bemusement of Mrs Stevesteve). On this day as the light grew less we walked down the snowy path and peered ahead: a snowy path to a junction with another path. Down to the junction and take a turning... on to a snowy path to a junction with another path. After a few more turns the old internal gyros were tumbling. A very unsettling feeling! Eventually we did come across a path we knew but for a while I had absolutely no idea where we were and no references at all, no sun and everything looked the same. Freaky:eek: .

Cheers,
Steve

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I've never been lost, merely investigated alternative routes:D And my shortcuts are legendary:lmao:

but it doesn't tend to panic me. I have a thing about maps and any place I go I study the map and lay of the land. Not necessarily every detail, but the general shape and landscape features. If I'm driving somewhere I look at the area round about my destination so that I know if I've missed a turn.
Never ever trust SatNav My cousin's kept telling him to turn right when he was right at the middle of the Erskine Bridge. Give me an A-Z and a road atlas and I'll do fine. If we're going somewhere I sort of glaze over and my wife will say "You're checking the map in your head again". My map in my head and a fairly accurate sense of direction has got me any where I've wanted to go, apart from Eric's, but I only missed it by one street (the first time round:rolleyes: )

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Turned around 5 metres from the trail?

Why not? Can happen anytime

But don't try too hard to see the trail. Panic induces a sort of 'tunnel vision' where you screen out data when you look for what you want to see. You can end up convincing yourself north is south and that the compass is wrong.

Ease off, have that cup of tea, play with the dog. A relaxed mind is more receptive to signs. And forget about dinner going cold on the table or any appointments you have.

You have to get your bush sense going again. Never push it or you may regret it.

Look for the posts on my stuff ups:lmao:

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I have to agree with several of the other members, I frequently go and get lost, I am not really lost as I know roughly where I am, but not exactly and as said before it is good to find new places and new things. Generally I have a good homing instinct.
But i have to admit one occassion was quite Freeky! It was a couple of years back in Scotloand @ the Kyle of Lochalsh (forgive if thats spelt wrong). my wife & I had been out most of the day wandering as we had found a beutiful wood / forest. It started to go dark so we headed back to the campsite. Pan had been for sure, we could not find the path we took or any land marks. My wife kept on talking about a video called Dog Soldiers (you will know what I mean if you have seen it) she was freaking out a bit, the really freaky thing was we could hear something moving around just in the growing gloom and it was no rabbit. I picked up a large stick for justin. After what seemed like an hour, but actualy only 15 mins we saw a lights in the distance and so headed for it, still hearing the thing following. as we got closer to the light we could see it was the pub near the campsite we, were safe and happy. It was at this point our follower chose to show himself. Clean underwear was needed, it was a German Shepard dog, at the time it looked like something else. he was friendly and just sniffed our feet & hands and stalked off back into the woods. We later found out from Sam (behind the bar) that the dog belonged to the guy who lived in a caravan on the other side of the woods.

You are never truly lost, just on a new path!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE