Just been to a Cock Fight!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No not the illegal sort (nor the pervy sort!)
I had just finished loading firewood into the van (last load of hedge trimmings from the boundary of the woods I play in) and decided to have a wander around the woods, checking up on the badger sets, progress of the foragable plants etc when I came across a scene I have never witnessed before...
There were two Cock Pheasants having a bit of a territorial boundary dispute.
They were facing each other and vaguely pecking at each other and giving "the eye" then the bigger one (whom I have seen in the woods on many occassions and is fairly happy in my company) would leap forward, feet first, trying to claw the rival - who would scuttle back a few feet before standing his ground once again.
This was repeated several times before I left them to it.
The little one was certainly "game" :)
I was able to get right up to them - almost touching distance - without disturbing them....no wonder they are seen on many menues...easy to catch....

I was kicking myself that I did not have the camera with me!:rolleyes:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That time of year again! :)

This fellow was attacking his own reflection in our showroom windows the other year. Eventually we were so worried that he'd hurt himself that we went out and scared him away!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There's certainly plenty of activity now, so much noise!
Lots of dead ones in the lane too, which is good news for the ferrets.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Had one going for me once.

The more I tried to push him away with foot or stick the more he wanted to fight!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE