Just ate some rat bait...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My wife has had an issue with rats in her car - they've chewed through the wiring loom twice now and although they seem to have taken a bag of poisoned bait, I'd like to see the bodies so I've left a couple of spring traps in there. Needed something sticky enough to jam onto the prongs and thought some dark chocolate Easter egg with peanut butter would fit the bill. Had to make triple the amount I needed as it looked so delicious :D

Let's hope the rats find it just as irresistible. I've patched up the loom myself as couldn't stomach another repair bill.

Reactions: santaman2000

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Joking aside traps are often tripped without the animal in the correct position - or there long enough.
if you melt the chocolate onto the trigger the animal has to nibble the chocolate off which is time consuming and sure to set the trap off

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
also rat bait is a slow acting poison. so they will eat many bags.
generally they are based on an anticoagulant and the antidote is vitimin K. So if the rats are eating greens as well as your bait- you are just feeding them!

Reactions: Toddy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It was a matter of what I had on hand. Hopefully the chocolate and peanut butter is sticky enough but if they manage to eat it without triggering the trap then I'll do something different...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have found Twix very successful :) the toffee part is easy to push onto the prongs of the trap but sticky enough for the little devils to have to put some effort into getting it all off - so biscuit, chocolate and toffee all in one bait!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, this morning all the poisoned bait was gone from the wheelwell in the boot and the trap was sprung, but no rat in it. At least it means I'm not going mad and the dogs aren't the ones who have taken the bait. I've reset it with chorizo now - it's jammed on a bit better. If they remove it then I'll wire the next lot on...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've done that a few times Tone
Done it with the bigger fen traps too - that hurts. especially if you allow the jaws to get some inertia and your fingers are at the end of travel!
A few questionable words were heard!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE