Just an interesting read of a site.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sitting here at peace with the world. Rather overfull of dinner :eek: and I'm painting tiny wee people for my putz houses, reading a book and quietly surfing the net.

It's amazing the sheer volume of 'stuff' out there :)

Anyway, looking for information on how a cast iron range (wartime, just post) actually worked, I came across a site on domestic fireplaces, etc., in the UK and Ireland.
Quite enjoyed my wee read through :D and thought I'd share.

http://www.soliftec.com/heroes.htm

Interesting too about burning wood. That it's better not on a grate, and that the ash isn't really, but it is cell wall debris that will burn if kept hot enough.

Anyone else tripped across an interesing read of a site ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The other links on the site (left hand side) to things like different coals, how they burn to best effect, the construction and airflow of fireplaces, etc., were full of those interesting bits of information that fill out general knowledge :)

I found another site like this last week too; that one was on the mineral resources to be found in the British Isles, and where to find them and how they were/are used. Astonishing diversity and an amazing storehouse of useful stuff on our small homelands.

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The throat in a modern open fireplace is supposed to increase the draught and burning efficciency but visiting old houses without it is surprising how warm their truly open fires make the place, Even a fire in the open is great (sorry) such as at Penshurst Place with no chimney is nice. Smallholm Pele was lovely and warm with a few peats smouldering in the fireplace.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree; some of the old sandstone villas around here have enormous maws of fireplaces. Huge great edifices, and they really are warm when lit. I'm pretty sure the building structure helps though. It absorbs the heat and releases it like a storage heater.
They take a lot of feeding though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE