Jupiter moons visible

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you pop out to the garden right now and look at the moon, there is a very bright star near the moon, thats Jupiter. If you look through a pair of binoculars, you should be able to see one faint point of light above and one at about eight o'clock. Those are the moons. Just saw them walking back from the postbox. Very cool I thought.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Sadly, there's a very slight haze here... very high up and barely there, but enough to make this impossible. Yesterday at this time of night would have been perfect conditions, ah well, next time ;)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Amazing how bright it is I was just discussing this the other day with Toddy as i've been watching it track it's way across the sky every night all month, wish i had some binoculars to check out the moons, when you notice stuff like that it is very clear how our stone age ancestors picked out the planets from the stars in the night sky with them being outdoors so much

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Something like this:

JupiterplusMoons.jpg

J

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I think you are right for me the one i have been watching track across the sky every night seems to be Venus

2015-april-23-winter-circle.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Isn't it Venus to the right and Jupiter to the left (according to sky map)

Quite right :eek:

I've corrected the original, since I'm no astronomer. I'm lucky to have a neighbour who is and who tells me cool things to look at!

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Yes, nice. This last month both Jupiter and Venus have given a fine display. I have been watching both most nights this month when weather permits. Venus can be seen towards the west at dusk but it sets early and is only seen in the early part of the night. Jupiter is visible for a much longer period into the night. Venus is the brightest planet in the sky (after the sun & moon) and it shines brightly like a beacon, so bright it can be seen even before it gets dark. It is sometimes nicknamed the evening and morning star (though it’s a planet of course) because that’s when it’s most often seen because of it’s orbit. Jupiter is the second brightest planet. They have both been marvellous to see this last month.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE