Jons mothing thread... pic heavy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I know some of you are interested in moths, so I thought I would share what I catch in the traps....
I use a home made skinner trap which is basicly a box with a light on the top. It has a lid on that lets the moths get into the box but hard to get out. The light is a 125w mercury vapour bulb which contains real moon dust and so attracts the moths to it. Inside the box is a load of empty egg boxes which the moths can hide away in. All moths are recorded and released unharmed.
Last night we went to the local woods and set up 4 traps and this is a list of all of the moths that were identified (we had quite a few that were potted up to be identifed later)..

Small fanfooted wave
Rosy tabby
Dingey footman
Birch mocha
Depressaria
Batia unitella
Dwarf cream wave
The snout
Caloptilia robustella
Small grey
Flame shoulder
Acleris laterana
Inlaid grass veneer
Red twinspot carpet
Square spot rustic
Straw grass veneer
Pebble hook tip
Golden argent... Photo
Clouded border
Common marble
The drinker
Helcystogramma rufescens
Cloaked minor f.bicoloria
Longhorned flat-body
Peppered moth
Smokey wainscott
Uncertain
Large yellow underwing
Caloptilia stigmatella
Single dotted wave
Small yellow wave
Rosy footman
Common grey
Argyresthia brockeella
Common emerald
Dunbar
Pine hawkmoth
Riband wave
Buff arches
Panmene fasciana
Batia lunaris
Scalloped shell
July highflyer
map-winged swift
Straw dot
Iron prominant
Small white wave
Ruby tiger
Double square spot
Twenty-plume moth
Meal moth
Argyresthia spinosella
Bee moth
Holly tortrix
Brown china mark
Garden grass veneer
Brachmia blandella
Common plume
Marbled white spot
Black arches
Dot moth
Satin lutestring
the flame
Lozotaenoides formosanus
Marbled orchard tortrix
Honeysuckle moth
Epinotia turbidana
Dark fruit tree tortrix
Teleoidis luculella
Bramble shoot moth
Bordered beauty
Agryphilla inquinatella
Mother of pearl
elder pearl
Light brown apple moth
Scarse footman
Common wainscott
Dotted oak knot horn
Small angle shades
Common carpet
The clay
Light emerald
Scalloped hooktip
White spotted pug
Eucosma cana
Pale prominent
Oak nycteoline
mottled beauty
Webbs wainscott
The fanfoot
Knotgrass
Acleris notana
Lobesia abscisana
Tawny barred angle
Small rivulet
Brown house moth
Canary shouldered thorn
Aleimma loeflingiana
Verigated golden tortrix
Blastobasis lignea
Brimstone
Tineatrinotella
Warted knot-horn

Here is a few piccys...

I like this moth, its called The Drinker
DSC03654Small.jpg

This one is called Dot Moth...
DSC03639Small.jpg

Pine Hawkmoth...
DSC03634Small.jpg

Can't remember the name of this one, but its a pretty moth...
DSC03632Small.jpg

We had a few hornets too...
DSC03641Small.jpg

Also got this very large horse fly...Check the eyes....
DSC03663Small.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Moths have really cool names! My brother would freak out, he has a morbid fear of moths. I don't mind them, but the big massive moths in Africa were not funny when I was turning off the genny with the floodlight on it, they would fly into me and the surprise would give you a fright! They really hit you hard!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Moths have really cool names! My brother would freak out, he has a morbid fear of moths. I don't mind them, but the big massive moths in Africa were not funny when I was turning off the genny with the floodlight on it, they would fly into me and the surprise would give you a fright! They really hit you hard!

Yeah, moths do have some great names...The above pic of The Drinker...We had loads of them flying around, it was as if they had been drinking, they keep bumping into you and they are not that small...

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Never realised there were so many moth species. Jon it warms me to think that there are fellow obsessive, anoraky, geeks out there............take that as a compliment mate, it beats watching big brother. My family are finding my current badger watching obsession as bordering on some kind of mental illness!!!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Never realised there were so many moth species. Jon it warms me to think that there are fellow obsessive, anoraky, geeks out there............take that as a compliment mate, it beats watching big brother. My family are finding my current badger watching obsession as bordering on some kind of mental illness!!!!

I've got to admit, trying to stalk the badger is no end of fun! i went out last night and remembered to take my camera this time. Sods Law that i didn't see one this time!:rolleyes:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...

Lol....There are about 2500 different types of moths in this country, yes, there are lots...
I am not just into moths, I am into all types of wildlife in this country. I can quite happily sit there and watch rabbits playing or go on a bug hunt, go looking for reptiles, bird watching or go looking for plants...I am no expert on any one subject, but love going out with experts. I have been out and about with bumble bee experts, botanists, moth experts, beetle experts, bird experts etc etc....I love learning it all and love being out there even more. I love these peoples enthusiasm too. Sam, our local countryside warden is really keen on moths and his enthusiasm is amazing. I am lucky to have these people around and to be able to tap into their expertese...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great stuff Jon. You are really luckky to see so many species. I'm lucky if I get 20 species on a fair night. Still global warming is making a difference as is my maturing garden. I use a Robinson trap with a 125w ans run it whenever I think it might be a good night. Last week I had so many midge in it that they blocked the draining mesh and the trap filled with water during the night. Drowned moths are not a pretty sight! Enjoyed your pics.:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cracking piccs as always Jon - particularly love the Drinker.

BB says horseflies are evil £%^*&^%$%$$^& and hopes you squished it!

Shes really in touch with her inner ecologist :D

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Great stuff Jon. You are really luckky to see so many species. I'm lucky if I get 20 species on a fair night. Still global warming is making a difference as is my maturing garden. I use a Robinson trap with a 125w ans run it whenever I think it might be a good night. Last week I had so many midge in it that they blocked the draining mesh and the trap filled with water during the night. Drowned moths are not a pretty sight! Enjoyed your pics.:)

Ahhh, not good, I have experenced your midges, culicoides impunctatos, or something like that, little buggers, but even them, I could sit down and enjoy watching the males dance, so long their women wern't eating me....What is an ans Fred, its it the same as a mercury vapour...? or a different type...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Ahhh, not good, I have experenced your midges, culicoides impunctatos, or something like that, little buggers, but even them, I could sit down and enjoy watching the males dance, so long their women wern't eating me....What is an ans Fred, its it the same as a mercury vapour...? or a different type...

To much rush in typing Jon. It should have read 'and I run it'! S.O.R.R.Y:eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cracking piccs as always Jon - particularly love the Drinker.

BB says horseflies are evil £%^*&^%$%$$^& and hopes you squished it!

Shes really in touch with her inner ecologist :D

Red

Cheers Red...I have always hated horse flys, but I am comming round on them, its their eyes, have you ever seen their eyes close up...truly beautiful....

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
John, I used to hate moths, think it was a childhood thing where they fly round the light, but since we did that trap at Swyns (though there wasn't a great deal in there) I find them much more fascinating.

Great stuff, look forward to more pics..

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
John, I used to hate moths, think it was a childhood thing where they fly round the light, but since we did that trap at Swyns (though there wasn't a great deal in there) I find them much more fascinating.

Great stuff, look forward to more pics..

It would be good to run a trap up there again. It was cold that evening...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE